Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is the best most inexpensive thread?

Banned
    Hi
    I am looking to see what the best kind of thread is, for my machines. Threadart.com has cotton and poly thread for 1000 yards/meters for 2.00$. Is it good quality? Would you recomend something else?
    thanks
    Emily

I like the MaxiLock Polyester on a cone at Joann's I always get it on sale or with coupons and the spools last a long time. But if you aren't set up for cones. :(

Blog Entries
    i have tons of Threadart cotton solids and variegated. every huge once in a while, i see teeeeeeeeeeeeeny tiny knots in the solid thread where the lenghts have apparently been tied together to roll a full spool. at high speed, the thread breaks as those knots hit the eye of the needle.

i have had absolutely no problems with the variegated cottons.

i don't know yet about their polyester. i just ordered some for the first time and it hasn't arrived yet.

for the price, it's great. when i'm in a position to afford to pay a bit more, i think i'll shop around and try a different brand for my solid cottons.

The cone thread holders are around 6 bucks, and they are easy to use. Mine comes apart to store.

I have a lot of cone thread cones from industrial sewing that will take years to use up, but use Gutterman for piecing. I also tend to use a better thread for actual quilting, where I do not want to re-do it a few years down the road.

For potholders and decorative items, things with a limited life span, thread would not be as important as a bed quilt used and washed for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
    I like the MaxiLock Polyester on a cone at Joann's I always get it on sale or with coupons and the spools last a long time. But if you aren't set up for cones. :(
    My son made me a thread holder from a dollar paper towel holder that I found at dollar tree. It works great. And I use the cones from Joanns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been using Guttermann that I get on sale for piecing. I just got some cotton thread from Connecting Threads and it is wonderful. Try it. www.ConnectingThreads.com

judee

I use Conecting Threads and have had no problems with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    I use Conecting Threads and have had no problems with it.
    and their prices are very reasonable. it's in my "favorites" now! can't wait to try them. :-)

I never know which thread to buy.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Blog Entries
    I use Connecting Thread cottons for piecing and Isacord for embroidery...different types of threads for quilting...depends on the "look" that I want.

Well if we're talking inexpensive embroidery thread ;) I've been getting Madeira Polyneon for about $2.45 a spool. I think it's around 1400 yards. My machine and I love the stuff. Super smooth. :D