Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best stabilizer for applique?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-stabilizer-applique-t192226.html)

BellaBoo 06-20-2012 09:24 AM

You could stiple and echo quilt in the background around the applique.

mldulac 06-20-2012 07:33 PM

You've all given me good advice. Now I will try some of these to see which works best for me. Thanks again

jitkaau 06-21-2012 03:06 AM

Superior threads have a number of videos that could help you and they would have correct terms for you.The companies market them under different brand names here.Try to go for something called misty fuse if you want a softer feel.Some of the badge making ones are very stiff. I find that I mostly use one that is called 'vleisofix'.It is quite useful for a variety of purposes. There is also a fusible thread which you sew around the edge of the applique and then iron onto the background to keep it in place whilst you stitch it in . It means that you don't have it heavily stuck down and it remains soft and pliable.

happyquiltmom 06-21-2012 03:40 AM

Heat & Bond is a fusible, not a stabilizer. And, it's not meant for stitching applique. It's for crafty stuff like sweatshirts.

For stabilizing applique, I just use regular typing paper behind my work and tear it away when finished. I have also used sketch paper, the kind you buy in a pad.

For fusible applique, I always use Wonder Under. It needles easily and doesn't add stiffness to the quilt. Two important tips for Wonder Under: 1. Always store it rolled up. If you fold it, the "sticky" will separate from the paper, making it virtually useless. A paper towel tube is especially useful for storing Wonder Under.
2. Be sure that the product is COMPLETELY cool before attempting to peel away the paper. Sometimes I pop the applique into the refrigerator for a few minutes to speed up the process. Always score paper on the back to simplify peeling.

justflyingin 06-21-2012 03:46 AM

I think the way you combined techniques (applique and adding color with pastels) is great. Beautiful work!

CathieB 06-21-2012 04:17 AM

I trace my applique shape and then cut out the center of it before I fuse it onto the back of the fabric. That way the fusible part is only around the edges and leaves the center of the motif soft. There's still some stiffness, but not nearly as much.

onthelake 06-21-2012 04:56 AM

Oh, my...those are absolutely beautiful!!! I would be delighted to get them in any form.

SandyQuilter 06-21-2012 05:30 AM

You don't need any stabilizer or fusible. Try needle turn applique. It will take a bit of time to learn, but be ever so rewarding. And your applique will always be as soft as your fabric.
SandyQuilter

Happy Linda 06-21-2012 05:31 AM

Great job. Nice to read the responses to the different fusibles.

Caswews 06-21-2012 06:22 AM

very nice .. Good job !!