Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is it called..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-called-t194523.html)

AnnT 07-14-2012 03:58 AM

I like them. Sometimes I just want a little more on my feet and they fit the bill perfectly. To me, it's a nice way to make a new pattern when I don't want to make a full quilt (and use up scraps!). I also have the dog at the foot of the bed issue..

mjsylvstr 07-14-2012 04:20 AM

If one likes to change the decor of their bedroom or for a guest room, these runners surely can do the trick...rather than going out and buying new spreads.........
and some people get cold feet and might just like the warmth of keeping their toesies warm!!!!

Latrinka 07-14-2012 04:57 AM

Just stayed in a new hotel that had bed runners. Looked very nice, and I guess they keep your feet warm!

PKGranny 07-14-2012 05:05 AM

I've also heard them referred to as bed rugs!!

mimom 07-14-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5362449)
What's the point of a bed runner? During the winter, I almost always keep an extra cover at the foot of the bed . . . but it can be pulled into service, if needed. It just seems a bit silly, to me, to have a "pretend" extra cover. :p

I would think they are used for a decorative purpose, like a splash of color

Pam S 07-14-2012 05:32 AM

Now that you've all pointed out they're not just decorative but help keep the main bedcover clean, I think I just might make some. Would be a great way to try out some patterns when I don't want to commit to making a whole quilt.

Friday1961 07-14-2012 05:53 AM

What's the point of a bed runner? During the winter, I almost always keep an extra cover at the foot of the bed . . . but it can be pulled into service, if needed. It just seems a bit silly, to me, to have a "pretend" extra cover. :p

This is precisely what I was thinking! I'd prefer to make a throw which can be folded at the end of the bed but still used as a light cover. Bed runners are attractive but I'm too practical, I guess.

Deborahlees 07-14-2012 07:15 AM

More for decoration, great in a guest room, can easily change for season or holiday....yes very much like a table runner and for the same reason....Decoration not service.

Teri D 07-14-2012 07:55 AM

That's my strategy as well. It's an easy, fun, and relatively inexpensive way to give a pop of color or seasonal fun to my neutral bedroom color scheme. Plus, I'm alone and already have more big quilts and lap quilts than I need. They are also quick projects that fit my rapidly diminishing attention span!

svenskaflicka1 07-14-2012 08:24 AM

i wondered the same thing, first time i stayed at a hotel that had them. but that night, i did use it like a quilt--i just turned it the "long way" on me, and it took the chill off perfectly. my cousin laughed at me, because all she wanted was for her feet to be warm--mission accomplished for both of us!