Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What can I do to fix this??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-can-i-do-fix-t261340.html)

#1piecemaker 02-16-2015 07:58 AM

What can I do to fix this???

1 Attachment(s)
Its already made and quilted. For the life of me..... I didn't see the boo boo before or after quilting until I laid it out in the floor. I was going to put it i a quilt show. It is so beautiful but when You look at it closely, you can see what happened. I think I placed one strip upside down or something. The quilting is very close and if I took the section out, I doubt very seriously if I could match the panto back up and fix it without being noticed. I thought about appliqueing something over it. But what? Help!!!!!

#1piecemaker 02-16-2015 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the picture of the quilting[ATTACH=CONFIG]510451[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 02-16-2015 08:14 AM

OH dear, I can feel your pain. You made a very beautiful Bargello quilt and yes, I would applique something only over the FOUR brown squares. Can you applique a strip of four of the light fabric (what should have been there)?? I don't think the rest would show up as easily as just doing this. Try pinning over just the 4 brown squares (or maybe the 5) and see what you think.

Tartan 02-16-2015 08:20 AM

If you have more fabric, I would try to hand applique the correct squares in place. As for a different applique to cover the whole strip, I am thinking brown bare tree with roots? Beautiful Bargello and my heart hurts for you.

BerninaGirl 02-16-2015 08:23 AM

How frustrating. I think the idea of appliqueing the correct strip in makes the most sense.

MarionsQuilts 02-16-2015 08:25 AM

I feel your pain ... I'm doing a bargello right now - a "mirror" image and I sewed the right side just like the left! LOL Now I have to take it all apart! At least mine's not quilted.

OK - for your's ... honestly, it took me about 5 minutes to find your mistake!!!!!! And I was LOOKING for it since you mentioned it ...

It's a gorgeous quilt, and the only thing I would do is what maniacquilter suggested.

Good luck!

#1piecemaker 02-16-2015 08:54 AM

I thought about appliqueing the correct pieces over it but they would be minus the quilting. So, that is probably not going to work. Now, the tree idea might work cause I was thinking maybe doing some leaves over the spot. Actually it is hard to spot just looking at it. But, the picture tells the tale.

QuiltnNan 02-16-2015 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 7092607)
I thought about appliqueing the correct pieces over it but they would be minus the quilting. So, that is probably not going to work. Now, the tree idea might work cause I was thinking maybe doing some leaves over the spot. Actually it is hard to spot just looking at it. But, the picture tells the tale.

i would still applique the correct ones over it and replicate the quilting by hand... you can copy through what is on the back. once it's washed, i think it will not be noticed at all.

MadQuilter 02-16-2015 10:30 AM

I would also cut the correct color pieces and applique them by hand. For starters, I would do the light on dark section and see if the remainder still bothers you.

As for the quilting, I would follow the quilting design on the top but only do a running stitch through the top and into the batting - not all the way through. Good luck.

Not sure what free-form applique would fit over a bargello otherwise.

GrammaNan 02-16-2015 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7092745)
I would also cut the correct color pieces and applique them by hand. For starters, I would do the light on dark section and see if the remainder still bothers you.

As for the quilting, I would follow the quilting design on the top but only do a running stitch through the top and into the batting - not all the way through. Good luck.

Not sure what free-form applique would fit over a bargello otherwise.

I think this is your answer and yes, it will be worth all of the trouble! Your quilt is beautiful. I learned the hard way as well and now I hang the quilt top on the wall of my living room for a couple of days for everyone in my family as well as myself to look at it over. Different members of my family have spotted mistakes that I missed. Good Luck!!<3<3<3