Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What can I do to fix this???

Blog Entries

What can I do to fix this???

Its already made and quilted. For the life of me..... I didn't see the boo boo before or after quilting until I laid it out in the floor. I was going to put it i a quilt show. It is so beautiful but when You look at it closely, you can see what happened. I think I placed one strip upside down or something. The quilting is very close and if I took the section out, I doubt very seriously if I could match the panto back up and fix it without being noticed. I thought about appliqueing something over it. But what? Help!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    Forgot the picture of the quiltingAttachment 510451
    Attached Images Attached Images

OH dear, I can feel your pain. You made a very beautiful Bargello quilt and yes, I would applique something only over the FOUR brown squares. Can you applique a strip of four of the light fabric (what should have been there)?? I don't think the rest would show up as easily as just doing this. Try pinning over just the 4 brown squares (or maybe the 5) and see what you think.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    If you have more fabric, I would try to hand applique the correct squares in place. As for a different applique to cover the whole strip, I am thinking brown bare tree with roots? Beautiful Bargello and my heart hurts for you.

Blog Entries
    How frustrating. I think the idea of appliqueing the correct strip in makes the most sense.

I feel your pain ... I'm doing a bargello right now - a "mirror" image and I sewed the right side just like the left! LOL Now I have to take it all apart! At least mine's not quilted.

OK - for your's ... honestly, it took me about 5 minutes to find your mistake!!!!!! And I was LOOKING for it since you mentioned it ...

It's a gorgeous quilt, and the only thing I would do is what maniacquilter suggested.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I thought about appliqueing the correct pieces over it but they would be minus the quilting. So, that is probably not going to work. Now, the tree idea might work cause I was thinking maybe doing some leaves over the spot. Actually it is hard to spot just looking at it. But, the picture tells the tale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    I thought about appliqueing the correct pieces over it but they would be minus the quilting. So, that is probably not going to work. Now, the tree idea might work cause I was thinking maybe doing some leaves over the spot. Actually it is hard to spot just looking at it. But, the picture tells the tale.
    i would still applique the correct ones over it and replicate the quilting by hand... you can copy through what is on the back. once it's washed, i think it will not be noticed at all.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would also cut the correct color pieces and applique them by hand. For starters, I would do the light on dark section and see if the remainder still bothers you.

As for the quilting, I would follow the quilting design on the top but only do a running stitch through the top and into the batting - not all the way through. Good luck.

Not sure what free-form applique would fit over a bargello otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I would also cut the correct color pieces and applique them by hand. For starters, I would do the light on dark section and see if the remainder still bothers you.

As for the quilting, I would follow the quilting design on the top but only do a running stitch through the top and into the batting - not all the way through. Good luck.

Not sure what free-form applique would fit over a bargello otherwise.
    I think this is your answer and yes, it will be worth all of the trouble! Your quilt is beautiful. I learned the hard way as well and now I hang the quilt top on the wall of my living room for a couple of days for everyone in my family as well as myself to look at it over. Different members of my family have spotted mistakes that I missed. Good Luck!!
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

This may take some nerve and a bit of practice before the final application, but at Michael's and other art supply distributors there are pencils called inktense. You can use these pencils to darken or lighten a fabric and use a small amount of aloe vera jell or a medium to control the diffusion of the color so it will not bleed. Then use a rather small blunt brush to blend these color pencil overlays into the most obviously confused squares and hide what in your mind are the most glaring errors. Ironing the color makes it permanent. This leaves your quilting pattern uninterrupted and will make you easily understood error a distant memory. Should you fail doing this to your satisfaction, then you already have several other fall back options. How do I know this? I fixed a blunder on a very small quilt, told someone there was an error and they did not find it. There are tutorials about how to proceed...here on this board. Good luck and BTW...great quilt!!!

I like the idea of appliquing the correct squares. If you chose different applique birds in flight, eagle, or owl would be my suggestion because the quilt has so much movement.

I would be afraid to try to exactly match the squares with appliqued squares. It will be tough to match enough to not be seen.

Instead I would applique something different like birds/trees etc.

I was thinking along the same lines as Basketman. That way you could enter it with different medians to!

Blog Entries
    I like tartan's idea of the bare tree with roots.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Something simular happened to a quilt I had made for my son in law. I appliquéd a tree and a bear and I did not quilt over the appliqué. No one ever knew of the booboo but myself and others I told after they saw the quilt. Good luck. Whatever you choose I'm sure will be great. Good luck.

Power Poster
    Bummer!

I did spot it right away - I think the applique idea is what I would try.

I have found several errors in quilts I have made by taking a picture of them after I sewed them together and before quilting. Yes, I ripped every seam that was sewn wrong. I don't know why I can see the errors in a picture when I can't see them live.

I love the idea of the tree. You could enlarge the idea to include some branches with no leaves, kind of like this long winter we are having right now. I would do some thread painting on the tree before you applique it, that way it will look like it is quilted but be different. I am going to love to see what you come up with to fix it. The quilt is gorgeous but will look much better when the wrong squares are covered.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I'm thinking MadQuilter's idea sounds like the best remedy for a bargello. On a different design it might enhance it, but I would personally think it's a woopsie being covered UNLESS you repeated the applique elsewhere.

I feel your pain. I am not a big fan of appliqueing over it, because then it becomes more obvious than ever. How do I know that? I have done it and wasn't real please with that result either. Your quilt is breathtaking just as it is! Anyone would love to have it! I would put it in the show and be proud of it! It is a beautiful quilt it is!

Blog Entries
    A beautiful quilt--I wish I had some helpful advice.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

I've seen several quilts where the piecing was a background for an appliquéd silhouette such as a cat or giraffe. Could you appliqué on a long thin object, such as a sunflower with a long stem that covers the offending strip?

Your colors and craftsmanship is spot on! Do nothing! Enter in the quilt show and name it Imperfections! Then It will appear intentional and give a messageIt is to pretty to cover up!

I've found the best way to fix quilt oh nos is to just say My goodness, what a dumb thing to do. I'll do better next time. Remember it is a quilt. I love looking at my quilting flubs now, makes me laugh even though I wasn't laughing when I noticed them.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Name it "A Rift in Time" and treat it as deliberate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast