Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What can I put in my SP parcels from Scotland? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-can-i-put-my-sp-parcels-scotland-t194592.html)

QuiltingCrazie 07-16-2012 08:30 PM

Pictures are a great suggestion for some parts but like here in Germany it is disrespectful to photograph the people in their daily life, they consider it rude. You can take pictures of the surrounding areas...not trying to burst peoples bubble just trying to inform. I haven't been to Scotland yet so I don't know from how it is viewed there. When I send stuff from here I send candies because it's very different from the states and I send useful things like I sent my mom a polish pottery spoon rest, sent my daughter a wood carving with a village scene and message, I bought a tea towel with Germany and a castle embroidered. Coffee is huge here, those little coffee and tea sets are fantastic! I would send a Scottish quilting magazine, fabric is just as expensive here so I totally know what you mean!!

Linda58 07-16-2012 09:10 PM

We all would like one of those Sandra!!! lol

cannyquilter 07-17-2012 06:29 AM

No No NO, you either love Marmite or you hate it, there is no middle ground and I totally hate it, as well as spreading it on toast people also make a hot drink out of it yeuk!!!

Originally Posted by MacThayer (Post 5370177)
I know! Marmite! You can't get it anywhere in the States! After living in the U.K. (Birmingham) for a year, I just can't live without it, and British Marmite is so much better than that Vegetarian Marmite the Australian's make. Right now, I have to get it from a British specialty on line store; it's the only place I can find it, and I finally had them order me a big jar, because all they ever carried were those tiny ones, and I could go through one of those in a week. Everyone loves Marmite, right?

JMCDA 07-17-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by anita211 (Post 5369055)
How about a nice bottle of Glenfidditch???

Yes, that would be my suggestion! LOL

I'm a McDonald married to a McLean and I collect anything with thistles on it - pottery, china, hankies, clothing, jewelry, fabric bits and pieces...but I would be happy with anything from the home of our ancestors.

Joann from Canada

Knitette 07-17-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter (Post 5372186)
No No NO, you either love Marmite or you hate it, there is no middle ground and I totally hate it, as well as spreading it on toast people also make a hot drink out of it yeuk!!!

I'm with you on the Marmite front - if I had the money I'd be only too happy to ship the whole lot over. Sorry America.

thimblebug6000 07-17-2012 03:31 PM

A friend had problems with immigration when she tried shipping the Marmite, so you might want to check regulations, but maybe she only had the problem to Canada and not the US, I don't know.
As to the comment about Germans finding picture taking disrespectful, this has not been the case for me in the 30 years of visiting relatives & strangers, although none of them are in the Military.