Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What can I put in my SP parcels from Scotland? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-can-i-put-my-sp-parcels-scotland-t194592.html)

Knitette 07-14-2012 08:21 AM

What can I put in my SP parcels from Scotland?

Greetings from across the pond! Sorry if this is not the right thread - hopefully some kind person will move it if I'm in the wrong place.

What can I put in my SP parcels that can't be got readily in the US, or have you guys already got all the good stuff? ;)

I don't want to look mean, but things are so expensive here (e.g. new Japanese fabrics are on sale in my LQS for $22.50 a metre/39" - average price is $17/18, so a leading brand FQ is around $5; a small spool of Gutermann cotton is $2.40). As for notions....:eek:

Sweets (candy) tends to be quite heavy to post. I'm fairly new to quilting so I can't readily rattle off handmade goods.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions - thanks.

QuiltnNan 07-14-2012 08:51 AM

does SP stand for Secret Pal?

tesspug 07-14-2012 09:53 AM

Maybe some small local crafted items. Hankies, table mats, cute hand towels.

Knitette 07-14-2012 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5364004)
does SP stand for Secret Pal?

Sorry - yes it does.

gollytwo 07-14-2012 10:32 AM

Hankie somehow related to Scotland, a momento of William and Kate, sprig of thistle, a couple of Scottish cookies
Anything not weighty that bespeaks Scotland

MacThayer 07-14-2012 10:46 AM

All of that is great, like the Hankies and mementos, etc. Have you thought about photos? I have family in England, and they're always sending me "English" things for Christmas and my Birthday, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to send me any photos, yet that's what I cherish the most. And not just photos of them, but photos of the places we're gone together, the walks we've taken, the sea, the dunes, the burial mounds (I have a sister in Anglesey). Make your special packages to your special person personal. Do a little embroidery, make a potholder, a wall hanging. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it's almost better if it's not! I don't have a lot of photos and pictures up (new house), but I have every photo and picture Linda and her daughters ever gave me. Think about it.

nygal 07-14-2012 10:48 AM

Gee. I'd want something that would be very Scottish..something that I could not find in the states...it would not have to be quilt/sewing related at all!:o

Sandra in Minnesota 07-14-2012 11:41 AM

How about a handsome young man dressed in a quilt and bagpipes?? OPPS-maybe a bit too heavy to send in the mail.

SewExtremeSeams 07-14-2012 11:54 AM

Postcards of your area, town or country, small flag replica would be fun. I recently received a candy bar we can't get in the USA. It was yummy. Even after hardening up from arriving melted, it was great.

jcrow 07-14-2012 12:06 PM

I have a friend who went to China and took some photos of the Chinese and how they exercise any place, any time. She had pictures of them exercising on sidewalks and in malls. She had pictures of them getting their faces shaved in the streets. Old men sleeping in folding chairs on the sidewalks. People working in the rice paddies wearing funny tall hats. And that's just a couple of photos I'm telling you about. Those pictures were so exciting because we see nothing like that here is the USA. So, if you could send pictures of things that your culture does that we don't, your SP would be very happy and learn so much about your culture. And who doesn't want to learn about another person's culture?