Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to charge??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-charge-t19239.html)

Rose Hall 04-20-2009 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear all,

A coworker of my Mom's would like this quilt top made. I haven't agreed to anything, yet. Was wondering what to charge? I have similiar fabrics in my stash, so I wouldn't be buying fabric. I am making just the top. I would recommend she take it to the LQS to have it machine quilted.

What do you think I should charge? All the blocks are hand appliqued with the buttonhole/blanket stitch with black floss.

Would an hourly rate of $15 be too much? Or should I start at $250 and negotiate?

I work full time, have a busy toddler, and run a business from my home. I don't want to do this unless I can make it worth my time.

thanks!
Rose Hall

BellaBoo 04-20-2009 08:53 AM

I would charge at least $30 per block using quilt shop quality fabric I already had and $35 per block if I had to go buy the fabric. If that is too steep for the customer then suggest machine or fused applique instead of handwork to bring down the cost.

Maride 04-20-2009 09:34 AM

That is a big project to take on for someone else. Make sure you get compensated well for your effort. 250 doesn't even come close. Even if you are not buying fabrics you still have to charge for them because you already spent that money, and you want to get your expenses back.

My two cents worth.

Maria

leona07 04-20-2009 09:37 AM

I agree that you still need to charge for the fabric even though you have it in your stash because you paid for it at some point!! $15 an hour is CHEAP!! I don't know much about quilting but if it were your job to make quilts then $15 an hour wouldn't be much to live on, in the area I live anyway.

kluedesigns 04-20-2009 10:56 AM

all that hand work - i would want at least $500 plus cost of materials.

grannypjb 04-26-2009 11:50 PM

Do not be too cheap. If word gets around that you do not charge very much, they will be standing on your doorstep.

beachlady 04-27-2009 04:46 AM

I love the pattern, but you need to charge enough for your time! Please don't under estimate yourself!

Rose Hall 04-27-2009 05:14 AM

dear all,
I told the woman $250 for the top or $15/hr to teach her how to applique.

She wasn't interested in either option.
thanks for your help! I probably would have undercharged and then resented in later!
Rose Hall

tslowery 04-27-2009 05:17 AM

Your time and talent is well worth what you asked for. She just needs to get busy and make one and THEN AND ONLY THEN would she understand the talent and time and most of all the love that goes into a quilt.

pittsburgpam 04-27-2009 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
dear all,
I told the woman $250 for the top or $15/hr to teach her how to applique.

She wasn't interested in either option.
thanks for your help! I probably would have undercharged and then resented in later!
Rose Hall

You had a lucky escape then if she didn't like the LOW price of $250! That's a lot of work in that design, a lot more than most pieced quilts would be for the same size. At that price I would have resented it too. Just think of the time you are taking away from your family and other things YOU might want to do just for $250. It's not worth it in the end and it has to be worth your time.