Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to charge??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-charge-t25211.html)

Kara 09-08-2009 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My husband's grandmother would like to buy a quilt from me. I already have the quilt top, just need to layer and quilt. I'll have to hand quilt it because of its size (about 98" square).

My question: What to charge??? Is there some "formula" that you use when pricing? My mom said, "The amount of supplies x 3". I would have paid about $200 in 'stuff' if it wasn't for the fact it was on sale. Is this going to be worth $600 when it's done? I'm planning on wreaths, grid, and 1/4" inside the diamonds.

What do you think? This is my first time around, and I don't want to cheat myself and give it away, or over-charge...

Here's the picture...

lfw045 09-08-2009 01:07 PM

Hubby's grandmother? It would make a wonderful Christmas present from the both of you.

Adriane 09-08-2009 01:13 PM

The Marketing side of my brain says:
Cost of materials x 3 - retail
Cost of materials x 2 - wholesale

The Family side of my brain says:
-Christmas gift
-Birthday gift
-Sell it to her at cost, IF she really wants to buy it from you. I remember my friend's grandmother paying him $25 to reset the clock on her VCR...not a huge task, but she wanted to give him money. (Families are weird!) :)

BlueChicken 09-08-2009 01:14 PM

That's a stunning quilt, well done!

I do like the idea of a christmas present, but then it's a pretty "big" present.

We have the "x3" thing here too.... as a general rule it's one third for materials, one third for labour, and one third for profit. The sad fact is for hand made crafts it usually puts the final price out of reach for people, it just ends up too high.
For a family member or close friend I would also discount the price, we call it "mate's rates". :-)

RedGarnet222 09-08-2009 03:58 PM

I am sorry I tend to agree with everyone else. That quilt would mean so much to her as a gift. And hubby would be so proud of you.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-08-2009 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
Hubby's grandmother? It would make a wonderful Christmas present from the both of you.

I'm with you. I don't think you can charge Grandma for anything other than supplies. And only for supplies if buying them is a hardship to you.

That being said for a non-family member charge them BIG! Quilting is hard work and a skill that deserves to be paid for.

Camping Betty 09-08-2009 04:56 PM

I am with every one on the price
that being said do you have the directions for it ? it is so beautiful

triciasquilts 09-08-2009 05:01 PM

Since I sell my quilt items, everyone is right about he 3x's the cost. And it will be handquilted, that makes it worth more to me. But I would also think of part of it as a gift. I've did that with alot of my relatives when they want me to make them something and still want to pay me something.

kluedesigns 09-08-2009 05:28 PM

i wouldn't charge my husband's grandmother anything for the quilt.

in my eyes its a thank you gift for the wonderful grandson i'm married to.

sewjoyce 09-08-2009 05:32 PM

Does hubby's grandma have lots of money she's trying to give to him (via you?) Otherwise, it would really be a nice, thoughtful qift.... :D

If you need the money, then I would just charge about what you have in it. But be sure and tell her she's getting "family" or "senior" rates so that everyone in the family as well as their friends won't expect you to make them one for free....