Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to charge???

My husband's grandmother would like to buy a quilt from me. I already have the quilt top, just need to layer and quilt. I'll have to hand quilt it because of its size (about 98" square).

My question: What to charge??? Is there some "formula" that you use when pricing? My mom said, "The amount of supplies x 3". I would have paid about $200 in 'stuff' if it wasn't for the fact it was on sale. Is this going to be worth $600 when it's done? I'm planning on wreaths, grid, and 1/4" inside the diamonds.

What do you think? This is my first time around, and I don't want to cheat myself and give it away, or over-charge...

Here's the picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hubby's grandmother? It would make a wonderful Christmas present from the both of you.

The Marketing side of my brain says:
    Cost of materials x 3 - retail
    Cost of materials x 2 - wholesale

The Family side of my brain says:
    -Christmas gift
    -Birthday gift
    -Sell it to her at cost, IF she really wants to buy it from you. I remember my friend's grandmother paying him $25 to reset the clock on her VCR...not a huge task, but she wanted to give him money. (Families are weird!) :)

That's a stunning quilt, well done!

I do like the idea of a christmas present, but then it's a pretty "big" present.

We have the "x3" thing here too.... as a general rule it's one third for materials, one third for labour, and one third for profit. The sad fact is for hand made crafts it usually puts the final price out of reach for people, it just ends up too high.
    For a family member or close friend I would also discount the price, we call it "mate's rates". :-)

I am sorry I tend to agree with everyone else. That quilt would mean so much to her as a gift. And hubby would be so proud of you.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    Hubby's grandmother? It would make a wonderful Christmas present from the both of you.
    I'm with you. I don't think you can charge Grandma for anything other than supplies. And only for supplies if buying them is a hardship to you.

That being said for a non-family member charge them BIG! Quilting is hard work and a skill that deserves to be paid for.

I am with every one on the price
    that being said do you have the directions for it ? it is so beautiful

Since I sell my quilt items, everyone is right about he 3x's the cost. And it will be handquilted, that makes it worth more to me. But I would also think of part of it as a gift. I've did that with alot of my relatives when they want me to make them something and still want to pay me something.

Banned
    i wouldn't charge my husband's grandmother anything for the quilt.

in my eyes its a thank you gift for the wonderful grandson i'm married to.

Does hubby's grandma have lots of money she's trying to give to him (via you?) Otherwise, it would really be a nice, thoughtful qift.... :D

If you need the money, then I would just charge about what you have in it. But be sure and tell her she's getting "family" or "senior" rates so that everyone in the family as well as their friends won't expect you to make them one for free....

Blog Entries
    Its a beatiful quilt . I would have a hard time charging grandma anything . Maybe "borrow" it to her with the undertanding that later it be returned to you . And then you would have great memories and a wonderful memento for your husband from his Grandma. Something he would always be able remember Grandma by. That is priceless. Just my 2 cents

Power Poster
    Do you LIKE/LOVE husband's grandmother?

Has she been nice to you and your husband?

Did she OFFER to pay you?

Cost of materials is definitely fair - when it comes to relatives, it gets sticky.

She probably doesn't even have an idea of how much things are costing now-a-days.

Maybe talk it over with her?

Yep...I would make it a "freebie" for Gran, or if she really is insistent on giving you something a token "trade" of some sort. Lovely quilt, I am sure whatever you decide she will love it.

I feel as everyone else, if it
    s your Husbands grandmother I say no charge, for thats family..
    Thats what I would do if it was me anyways..

Beautiful quilt and I know you spent a lot of time on just making the top. Hard decision to be made, but you'll know what's right and fair when the time comes.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Is this something she wants for herself or is it something that she wants to buy for a gift for someone?

She did offer to pay, "Just let me know how much you want."

I have talked to someone who says their aunt used to make quilts, and charged everyone alike. Even family.

So, that's where the dilemma lies...

Hubby said, materials + some for time. Maybe not x3, but maybe x2. They also know hubby's losing his job soon... so maybe it's their way of "trading" or "gifting". I'm not sure, though.

Blog Entries
    Me I would give as a gift.

Power Poster
    I think it's okay to charge Grandma - especially if she offered to pay first - but I do think you need to talk to her about how much stuff costs now - I know I said this before - because she might be still thinking fabric costs $1.00 a yard - - - I don't know either of you, so - - -

I think a lot depends on the financial circumstances of you and Grandma.
    If Grandma is quite well off, and you are hurting, this may be her way of getting something she would like for herself and helping you out, too.

I agree with all of you, gift if you can, nominal charge if she really insists. That is a beautiful top, Happy quilting.... :-)

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Does Grandma have a favorite family recipe? If so, you could trade her the quilt, for a lesson in cooking, probably with some family history thrown in.

It would make her feel special, and appreciated, and would give her a chance to pass on what she knows to a whole new generation. Two smiles for the price of one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    She did offer to pay, "Just let me know how much you want."

I have talked to someone who says their aunt used to make quilts, and charged everyone alike. Even family.

So, that's where the dilemma lies...

Hubby said, materials + some for time. Maybe not x3, but maybe x2. They also know hubby's losing his job soon... so maybe it's their way of "trading" or "gifting". I'm not sure, though.
    Since they know he is losing his job soon it could be her way of helping out. Ask her what she feels is a fair price after you tell her how much it has cost you to make it.

That would be a great way to handle it. Good thinking Henry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    Is this something she wants for herself or is it something that she wants to buy for a gift for someone?
    This is something I hadn't thought about with my first reply :roll: If its a gift for someone else than I agree with Henry , tell her how much you have in it just for the fabric, thread, and other items. Then ask her what she thinks is fair ?

I'd say give the quilt as a gift. If she insists on charging, or if you need the money, then charge her the amount for just the supplies. If she's like my grandma, she'll pay you that price, plus whatever extra she wants to throw in.

I feel uncomfortable charging money to family for most things. In our family, we are constantly helping out one another. I could charge my brother for the baptism dress I just made his daughter, but then how much would he charge me for a day of labor moving all my boxes when we came from CA? What price can you put on the time, energy, and love that family puts into each of our lives?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast