Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-charity-needs-lap-size-quilts-do-you-know-t257048.html)

coopah 11-21-2014 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by pansypenny (Post 6976191)
We give them to our local Sheriff's department to keep in their vehicles. When they are dealing with an accident, and someone must sit in the car, there is a quilt available. Sometimes children, sometimes older.

A church group here does that, too. There were over 250 donated and USED last year!! The quilts and knitted blankets are stored in a zippered plastic bag in the back of the Sheriff's cars.

AZ Jane 11-21-2014 06:48 AM

Keep looking locally. Mailing a quilt to an organization can get pricey.

momsobon 11-21-2014 06:59 AM

I volunteer for Quilts for Comfort....in NJ we make quilts 40x60 for Leukemia patients...we meet twice a month. Susan has website Quits for Comfort...we give the quilts to the two hospitals in NJ that do bone marrow transplants.

Annaquilts 11-21-2014 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by quilterlaurie (Post 6977727)
Hospice can always use them

So true and the quilts are so appreciated by the patients and families.

BeverlyJo 11-21-2014 08:25 AM

My quilt guild makes quilts for our local kidney dialysis center.

imacoffeesnob 11-21-2014 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 (Post 6975733)
Hi,

I'm interested in making lap sized (or even small throw sized) quilts for a charity, but do not know of a charity that needs them. I checked with our local cancer center, and they don't need any quilts. I just want to be able to make some lap sized quilts to decrease my stash and enjoy making smaller projects.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oh good golly, how much stash do you have? Project Linus, Newborns in Need, ConKerr Cancer; (they want pillowcases for kids). Quilts for Kids. (you can google any of these for local places). Your local police, sheriff or fire departments, CPS, if you live in a large city, hospitals for NICU, local veterans hospitals use wheelchair quilts. All of these are smaller quilts, they will burn thru your stash in no time, and you will have the satisfaction of helping someone. Don't forget homeless shelters or domestic violence shelters, contact your local police for info on how to contact them. (I have donated to all of these charities, so I know they will welcome your help and generosity.)

maryfrang 11-21-2014 09:40 AM

I have made the small quilts and had them on hand when I heard of someone in need. Then I always have some small quilts done and ready. I recommend you contact before taking them to the places you find. Some have too many and no place to store additional one. They also can suggest other locations.

gvolle44 11-21-2014 09:44 AM

Charity Quilts for kids

We do quilts from 6" squares for Ronald McDonald House. Not only a great charity, but a fun way to try out some new quilting stitches. see http://www.rmhcincinnati.org/sites/d.../Quilts(5).pdf for mor information.

Hi,

I'm interested in making lap sized (or even small throw sized) quilts for a charity, but do not know of a charity that needs them. I checked with our local cancer center, and they don't need any quilts. I just want to be able to make some lap sized quilts to decrease my stash and enjoy making smaller projects.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

trolleystation 11-21-2014 10:57 AM

Check with local nursing homes, veteran's hospitals, children's hospitals. I also make 'fidget quilts' for Alzeheimer's patients. Also women's and children's shelters.

Morag 11-21-2014 11:59 AM

Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks.

We give to a Children's advocacy group, Veteran's hospital, nursing home, woman's shelter.. I have heard that the state and local police departments in some locations will take small quilts for children.