Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know? >

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 AM

Default What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

Hi,

I'm interested in making lap sized (or even small throw sized) quilts for a charity, but do not know of a charity that needs them. I checked with our local cancer center, and they don't need any quilts. I just want to be able to make some lap sized quilts to decrease my stash and enjoy making smaller projects.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I work thru a church organization. We have had a request for men quilts who are in a wheelchair. You might check with any senior homes. Also look using Google what local churches have a quilting group. Just found out another church group have quilters that met on Friday.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Veteran's centers, elder care facilities, neonatal units, shelters (both human and animal), hospitals.....
Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in making lap sized (or even small throw sized) quilts for a charity, but do not know of a charity that needs them. I checked with our local cancer center, and they don't need any quilts. I just want to be able to make some lap sized quilts to decrease my stash and enjoy making smaller projects.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
I understand from a local charity coordination group that senior citizen nursing homes really love to get the smaller quilts for warmth (wheelchair or lap size).
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 AM

You could check with your LQS - Pacific Fabrics just put an email out requesting quilts for Project Linus to benefit students at Marysville Pilchuck High School. Also check with veteran groups, hospitals and food banks in your area.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 AM

Project Linus is all that comes to mind....you might consider checking with local quilt guilds. My guild donates quilts to several different charities.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Project Linus is all that comes to mind....you might consider checking with local quilt guilds. My guild donates quilts to several different charities.
this was going to be my suggestion, too
Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM

I am very active in our local Project Linus project. I make at least 21 quilts or throws each month. The way I understand the project is that each child who enters the ER is given a blanket or quilt as a comfort thing. It doesn't have to be big enough to cover them entirely. I have gotten dozens of thank you notes over the years saying that the quilt I provided calmed the child down and enabled the medical staff to work on him without having to deal with his or her fears. I mostly try and make things that are either gender neutral or geared toward boys. As a step-mother of two active, clumsy boys I made lots of trips to the ER with them. I don't believe Project Linus existed then but it would have been welcome on those visits. Project Linus also takes baby size quilts. They can be used to protect a child in an incubator type bed from the bright lights that are required overhead and then given to the family.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Google "Quilts for Kids" They supply quilts for many Children's Hospitals nationwide. Only problem is you need to mail them to their headquarters and that can get expensive. Thanks for making and donating quilts.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I used to be in a group that made them for families who had lost their homes to fire. Maybe check with the fire department.