Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know? >

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

What charity needs lap size quilts, do you know?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:03 PM

Default places to donate quilts

[
the pediatrics dept at a local hospital gladly accepts lap robes. They stress the patients come in all sizes, and up to 18 years old.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM

I make them for the hospice I volunteer for. They love getting them. Not only do the patient use them but when their love one passes they have the quilt to cherish
Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 AM

Our small quilt group, called the "Fallon Cut Ups", is group of 8 gals. We currently are in the process of making 22 wheel chair lap quilts for our local assited living facility here in Fallon, Nv. The quilts are 37"across and 42" long. We made pockets that their hands can slide into from the side that are flannel lined. Also a small pocket was added for a book or water or ? The back of the quilt is also flannel lined so the quilts don't slip onto the floor. One more thing and that is we round the corners at the bottom so the quilt won't get caught in the wheel chair wheels. These people get so cold in the winter as they can't move around a lot. Hope this inspires you and others to help these folks who are sometimes forgotten. God Bless You

Last edited by fallonquilter; 11-22-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 PM

So many wonderful suggestions. I, too, am making lap quilts to donate. I happened to know the owner of an assisted living facility and called to see if they had a need ... he was thrilled and quickly asked to be put on my list of receivers. My SIL visits many nursing homes (as part of a shepherd ministry with our church) and says there are a lot of folks that have little or no family and are thrilled to receive such a generous gift. I believe someone mentioned local Fire Depts. I hadn't thought of them and will definitely check out their needs.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Check with the hospice program in your area. I make quilts for 2 non-profit organazations in my little town. I make them hoping that the family will keep them after. I do know that many families chose to bury them with their loved ones. The patients are very touched that someone cares so much!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 AM

Another wonderful place to donate quilts to is your local hospice house. They will take just about any six you want to give them, and they are very thankful for them.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM

I just want to share a quick donation quilt pattern that I use. It can be made in fabrics for both adults and children.

http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/
Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 PM

In addition to all these wonderful suggestions, Quilter's Dream batting sponsors Hopes and Dreams for ALS patients.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM

I sew for Project Linus in PA. To find a chapter near you, just google and search for your state and city. I've been sewing for them for over 1 year, since I retired and really enjoy it. Most of us sew at home, but we meet every other month at a church to sew on labels and sort the quilts. We accept quilted, tied quilts, knitted/crocheted blankets in almost any size for babies and children from birth to 18 years of age who are hospitalized. My 12 year old grandson also sewed his first quilt for Project Linus. I was so proud of him.