Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is considered quality fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-considered-quality-fabric-t252237.html)

Jean in Ohio13452 08-22-2014 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by hautewife (Post 6853870)
Hello there!

I'm new to sewing and quilting. I've purchased some fabric from my local Hobby Lobby for my first quilt. It was roughly $6-7/yd. As I read through tutorials and blogs, I keep seeing references and recommendations to purchase quality fabric. As far as I know, I should look for 100% cotton. However, I'm not sure how to determine thread counts, etc. I can look at some fabric and tell that it is heavier than others.

Thanks in advance!

Signed,
Confused newbie

Good idea too is to start with a smaller project... like Potholders and Table Runners and Mug Rugs or Tote bags . You said you are new to sewing. This way you can work on the Skills for Pieceing the Quilt Squares, binding, Choosing Colors... ( pot holders need the nicer heavier Cottons..) and Mug rugs are easy to make and Quilt by machine.. Tote bags can have pieced Quilt Squares on the sides as part of the Design ... Table Runners can be made almost any size and all of these make nice Gifts.. as you are learning about sewing and Quilting... Table runners are good projects for hand Quilting if you choose... I have gotten some really nice fabric on sale at Connecting Threads, Keepsake Quilting, and I have found OK fabrics at Joann and Walmart. Local Quilt shop moved and rest of any fabric stores are about 1 hr away... Just depends on what you are looking for... and what you are using it for... Good Luck and Have Fun...

Yooper32 08-22-2014 05:04 AM

I use the fingers test, if it feels smooth, it is tightly woven and good, if it feels rough, it is loosely woven and leave it on the shelf. Ordering online, I have often bought at Thousands of bolts, Fabric. com and several closeout sites that carry premium fabric. I order select fabrics from Hobby Lobby often and it is very good fabric.

mckwilter 08-22-2014 08:05 AM

Fabshophop is a "shop hop" of online fabric stores. You have to register, then each month you get a list of links to participating shops. Click on the links to visit the stores, then find and click on the bunny icon to indicate you visited. Try to visit as many stores as possible because there are prizes, some directly from the stores. http://www.fabshophop.com/

If you Google "Quilt fabric stores Houston", you will come up with several that are inside or just outside the loop. Here is one. I haven't been there, but it looks interesting. http://www.teatimequilting.com/

If you're like me, Sunday is the only day I can shop, and there are only two shops that I know of that are open on Sundays -- Quilter's Emporium in Stafford and Pinwheels & Posies in Dickinson.

Also, Google Houston Quilt Guilds. You will meet quilters at all skill levels, and, depending on the guild, you will get to hear local to nationally known teachers. And most of them have workshops that you can take.

Also, the Houston International Quilt Festival is held here every year, and it's a lot of fun. You can go to the Quilts, Inc. website and download their catalogue. They have classes Monday thru Sunday of the Festival and the Quilt Show opens on Wednesday Preview night.

Originally Posted by hautewife (Post 6854172)
I live inside the loop and work a few blocks from the Galleria. What is a fabshophop?

FroggyinTexas 08-22-2014 11:53 AM

Once you understand "hand" (that's) how the fabric feels, you wwill be able to tell--most of the time--whether the fabric is worth the price. Don't ever judge by price alone or even by brand names. I have paid premium prices for some band name fabric that was wonky as could be when it was torn and the longer it sat after being cut, the more it raveled. And (drum roll, please) some of us occasionally use blends because they wear forever and never fade. froggyintexas

quilter68 08-22-2014 12:38 PM

I have used all of the aboved on-line stores and never had a problem. I also use "Thousands of Bolts" and eQuilter. Always good fabric!

pokeygirl 08-22-2014 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by hautewife (Post 6853926)
Thank you! That information is very helpful. Are there any online stores that you recommend? I am a big fan of Etsy.com and have found some beautiful fabrics there as well.

I buy most if not all of my fabric from Etsy.com. I stick with Moda and Robert Kaufman fabrics and have not been disappointed. I'm, also, what I consider a Newbie. Enjoy. :wave:

Jingle 08-22-2014 01:29 PM

I buy most fabric at Walmarts and Hobby Lobby. I give most of my quilts away and it is goos quality. I go by the feel, I have not been unhappy with it. I only buy 100% cotton.
I have bought from a popular online store and their quality is good also. Last time I got a lot more than I wanted.Online says yards but it is cut at units and that was twice as much. Needless to say I will only buy from above sources. Colors are not the same as in person.
I only pay where the prices meet my money. Lots say to buy from local quilt shops but that is more than I want to spend. I don't see where it is any better quality.
I have made over 136 quilts.

adamae 08-22-2014 01:50 PM

Here I am, 79 years old and have learned to use my intuition and rely on my past experiences. You will gain confidence in your choices the more exposure you have to the subject. If you plan to enter your work in a competition, your fabric choices are as important as your techniques. Learn to judge by comparison. Study quilt magazines and online sites for well known designers and companies producing fabrics. They have a reputation to maintain.

angelarose 08-23-2014 04:51 AM

Jeanne S. advice is 100%!

Jan in VA 08-23-2014 07:46 AM

Best. Answer. Yet. :thumbup:

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6854530)
Back to the original question:

What I consider to be "good quality" cotton quilting fabric.

It is colorfast. It shrinks no more than 3% in either direction. It feels nice and smooth. It is thick enough to that one cannot see easily through it. (Most fabrics have some "see-through" when held up to bright light!) The design is printed on-grain. It is wound on-grain on to the bolt. It has only a very small amount of sizing in it. It does not need to be starched or sized to be usable after it is washed (although if people like to do that, great - but it does not behave like overcooked spaghetti).