Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a deal!!!! Handi Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-deal-handi-quilter-t273333.html)

sval 12-15-2015 03:30 AM

What a deal!!!! Handi Quilter

I got such a deal on a used HQ16. On Sunday morning I happened to be looking at Craigslist to see if there was one. There never are in this area. And there it was for $2500. I thought it was surely a mistake in pricing. Or surely sold. It had been listed the day before. So when my DH got up I said we had to go look at it. The whole way there I'm thinking it's too good to be true. The lovely woman selling it took about an hour to show me the basics. I'm pinching myself the whole time. I've been wanting one but couldn't stomach the price for a hobby. I have no intention of going into business, so couldn't justify "mortgaging the house prices". I will use it for charity quilts mostly.
But then tragedy struck. She starts disassembling it not waiting for help and managed to topple the machine to the floor. The front bar that has the rollers on it broke in half. At that point I had to decide whether to continue with the purchase. On the assumption I'd be able to replace the part and after confirming it still worked and getting some taken off the price, we brought it home.
I can't wait to get it set up. But a space has to be made ready for it, which could take some time. I also might need classes as I have no idea how to use it.
I was just about in tears when it hit the floor. The words "too good to be true" kept going through my head. I found a dealer about an hour away where I can get the part for $89. No classes there in the near future. So I might be on my own. Guess they aren't selling any machines right now.
Hopefully it will all turn out alright. Because, as my MIL used to say, I'm stepping a little higher.
SVAL

NJ Quilter 12-15-2015 03:51 AM

Doing the happy dance for you. Hopefully the price difference you paid covered the cost of replacement of the part. And you are able to find classes nearby and soon.

quilterpurpledog 12-15-2015 03:58 AM

I would think that what you saved on your purchase would more than justify a short trip to a dealer that has classes so that you can start off on the 'right foot'. You made a special deal for sure.

sval 12-15-2015 04:03 AM

If no classes come up locally, I'm thinking Utah in April for the HQ Academy. That would be so fun. SVAL

QuiltnNan 12-15-2015 04:14 AM

congrats on your find and that you are able to get it fixed.

Sandygirl 12-15-2015 04:18 AM

Might be worth contacting HQ directly to arrange an on site appt with a tech. Yes, there will likely be a charge but worth a professional to inspect it properly.
sandy

toverly 12-15-2015 04:21 AM

Congratulations! What a find. Enjoy your new machine.

PaperPrincess 12-15-2015 05:06 AM

You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!!! Congrats!!!!

tallchick 12-15-2015 05:21 AM

Congratulations!! What a deal indeed!! I think you will find HQ a very easy and intuitive to use. I bought my Fusion online, my husband set it all up and I just watched a few tutorials online. I did take a 3 day long arm class from Longarm University but its not machine specific but I sure did learn a lot!!! Have fun and don't forget to share your projects !!

Lauray 12-15-2015 06:23 AM

There is a group dedicated to HQ Sweet 16's on Facebook. Do a search for "HQ Sweet Sixteen Quilters". It's a board similar to this one, only dedicated to your machine.