Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What a deal!!!! Handi Quilter

What a deal!!!! Handi Quilter

I got such a deal on a used HQ16. On Sunday morning I happened to be looking at Craigslist to see if there was one. There never are in this area. And there it was for $2500. I thought it was surely a mistake in pricing. Or surely sold. It had been listed the day before. So when my DH got up I said we had to go look at it. The whole way there I'm thinking it's too good to be true. The lovely woman selling it took about an hour to show me the basics. I'm pinching myself the whole time. I've been wanting one but couldn't stomach the price for a hobby. I have no intention of going into business, so couldn't justify "mortgaging the house prices". I will use it for charity quilts mostly.
    But then tragedy struck. She starts disassembling it not waiting for help and managed to topple the machine to the floor. The front bar that has the rollers on it broke in half. At that point I had to decide whether to continue with the purchase. On the assumption I'd be able to replace the part and after confirming it still worked and getting some taken off the price, we brought it home.
    I can't wait to get it set up. But a space has to be made ready for it, which could take some time. I also might need classes as I have no idea how to use it.
    I was just about in tears when it hit the floor. The words "too good to be true" kept going through my head. I found a dealer about an hour away where I can get the part for $89. No classes there in the near future. So I might be on my own. Guess they aren't selling any machines right now.
    Hopefully it will all turn out alright. Because, as my MIL used to say, I'm stepping a little higher.
    SVAL

Doing the happy dance for you. Hopefully the price difference you paid covered the cost of replacement of the part. And you are able to find classes nearby and soon.

I would think that what you saved on your purchase would more than justify a short trip to a dealer that has classes so that you can start off on the 'right foot'. You made a special deal for sure.

If no classes come up locally, I'm thinking Utah in April for the HQ Academy. That would be so fun. SVAL

Blog Entries
    congrats on your find and that you are able to get it fixed.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Might be worth contacting HQ directly to arrange an on site appt with a tech. Yes, there will likely be a charge but worth a professional to inspect it properly.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Congratulations! What a find. Enjoy your new machine.

Blog Entries
    You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!!! Congrats!!!!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Congratulations!! What a deal indeed!! I think you will find HQ a very easy and intuitive to use. I bought my Fusion online, my husband set it all up and I just watched a few tutorials online. I did take a 3 day long arm class from Longarm University but its not machine specific but I sure did learn a lot!!! Have fun and don't forget to share your projects !!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    There is a group dedicated to HQ Sweet 16's on Facebook. Do a search for "HQ Sweet Sixteen Quilters". It's a board similar to this one, only dedicated to your machine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You Tube also. I see video for long arms all the time. At least it may help you set up and get started a little. Congrats!!

Isn't the HQ Sweet 16 the sit-down mid-arm? That is more like a DSM for FMQ than a long-arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauray View Post
    There is a group dedicated to HQ Sweet 16's on Facebook. Do a search for "HQ Sweet Sixteen Quilters". It's a board similar to this one, only dedicated to your machine.

Blog Entries
    there are a lot of u tube videos I bet you can get the jest of how to do most of it.

Oh, wow you are so lucky!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
    Oh, wow you are so lucky!
    It's about time!. I've had a tough year.

You can get the part replaced whihc is the major hurdle. There is a learning curve on any LA. I have seen mention that there are specific groups on Yahoo depending on the type of LA you have purchased. Good Luck!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Yes! HQ Academy is awesome! I hope you are able to go.
    Annette in Utah

Congratulations on the new addition to your quilting family.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Christmas came early for you! Get some cheap fabric and use YouTube to load the fabric/bat on the machine and then PLAY!!! just spend some time drawing with thread--load it up with thread and you can eventually use it as a windproof picnic blanket!

Congrats! You're going to love it! I love mine!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Don't forget to check youtube for demos!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations.
    Finished is better than a UFO

hq has LOTS of free videos

Blog Entries
    what an exciting time for you... good thing you were diligent in checking Craig's list. Sounds like even though the bar was $89 that you are still way ahead of the game as far as the price goes.

As for FMQ... even if you take classes, it still takes practice, practice, practice... that's how you'll get to know your machine and improve your skills. Have a blast!
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I've seen demos on the Internet that were enough to know some basics. Just try googling Hand Quilter 16. Lucky you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast