Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Did I Do Wrong? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-did-i-do-wrong-t182093.html)

EllieGirl 03-09-2012 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached a copy of the pattern. Is it an "easy beginner" pattern? My squares are fine, but when trying to attach the angled pieces, they didn't match up well. I wasn't able to get a picture of my results. When looking at it, the angles are not symmetrical on each side. I appreciate any help.

JaneH 03-09-2012 08:58 AM

Just want to say thanks for the pattern :) ..... the link wouldn't let me open it until I saved it on my computer. Sorry I haven't got any answers for you, but I certainly don't think it looks like a "beginner" pattern!! It's beautiful but looks complicated. I see that the seam allowances are built into the pattern, so don't think that had any bearing on the problems. I'd guess that maybe one or more pieces got flipped somehow, but I'm a beginner myself, so like Sgt. Schulz ("Hogan's Heroes" if you're old enough to remember that show), "I know nothing!"

feline fanatic 03-09-2012 09:10 AM

I would not consider that an easy beginner pattern, especially the way it is written and especially if you are not familiar with set in "Y" seams. There templates do not have your start and stop dots clearly printed for set in Y seams. Also are working with bias edges on your trapazoid. I would call that pattern intermediate to advanced. There are easier ways to acheive a very simlar look using HST where your diamonds and trapazoid meet and where your chevrons meet. Draft it out on graph paper you will see. For your A-AR-C unit make a 4 square consisting of 3 HST units which make up your two diamonds creating the chevron. This way your middle pice can simply be 5 squares pieced together. I would redraft the entire pattern into easier shapes of just squares and HST.

Chances are, your attachment will not stay up here long because it is copyrighted. I suspect the post will be pulled very quickly.

QBot 03-10-2012 04:44 AM

Your printer may not have printed the templates at quite the required size. A tiny variation on each piece would put the whole set of measurements out.

Aurora 03-10-2012 04:57 AM

I found a pattern similar to that one. Not wanting to do why seams, I used HST's instead and it worked out fine. I am just a shade North of a beginner.

DanaNVa 03-10-2012 05:31 AM

I believe you ma have sewed to the end of each fabric piece. When you don't have 90 degree angles, you have to mark the sewing seam intersections on the back of each fabric piece. I call the seam intersection the "dot." Sew dot-to-dot instead of to the end of each fabric piece, and you should get things to line up. I also found that it helps to press the seams open so you can get the seams to line up accurately. Can you tell that I've made this error myself? Hope this helps.

Kazahleenah 03-10-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5042642)
I downloaded a placemat/runner pattern that said it was "easy" for beginners, and I consider myself an intermediate/beginner. It consists of a trapezoid shape, two rhombus shapes put together to form a chevron, and squares that attach to the chevron and trapezoid, and they all go together in a pattern. I was very careful measuring the pieces making sure the size was correct. The shape pattern was provided to use for cutting. I made sure the seams matched on the squares. When I put it all together the diagonals on each side of the center were way off.

I've made four quilts but they've been strips, squares, and log cabins. Now I'm hesitant to try different shapes.

I am there to. (Hesitant to try diffrent shapes) I went and bought some reminants cheap, and am practicing just cutting out triangles and sewing them back together to make perfectly square squares. I may end up with a lot of 9 blocks, but I can practice without much worry of screwing up. So far, so good.

Is there a chart for what size to make the square to cut triangles from it and have the 1/4 seam allowance?

GingerK 03-10-2012 05:59 AM

Wow, lovely pattern but waaaay to difficult to be termed "easy". I would definitely follow Feline Fanatic's advice and redraft the pattern using HST's.

Kazaleenah, cut squares 7/8 inch BIGGER than the FINISHED size of the HST. Put two squares together, wrong side out, and draw a line diagonally on the top square. Sew 1/4 inch on either side of the drawn line, then cut the square in half down the drawn line. Open, press and square up, to 1/2 inch larger that the finished size.

GammaLou 03-10-2012 06:18 AM

It appears the seam allowances were on the pattern. Were you careful to follow the straight of grain lines (the arrows)? If you are sewing a bias seam it can easily stretch out of shape. Try starching it to get the bias seams to behave.

quiltmom04 03-10-2012 06:50 AM

Saw the pattern. Definitely not a beginner pattern! And as your quilting experience grows, you will soon be able to tell what IS easy and what is NOT, and that in itself will will help you choose more "skill appropriate" patterns and lessen your frustration with certain projects. And you will be able to tell when you WANT a bigger challenge. Good luck!