Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with this 5 X 3 1/2 inch block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-5-x-3-1-2-inch-block-t276165.html)

MadQuilter 02-27-2016 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 7478570)
Good idea to make them 5 inch, but wouldn't it be boring because the fabric is exactly the same on all the bloc?

It would fall into the monochromatic look and be really stunning with the white contrast. You can also use white thread show the quilting in the blocks. I don't think it would be boring at all. Some guy would LOVE to get it.

profannie 02-27-2016 03:08 PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your ideas. I will put some block on my design wall and try several combinaisons.

quiltingbuddy 02-27-2016 05:14 PM

I like that block, but then I really like blues. You could do what has been suggested with the white but use yellow and give it a spark of more color. Or alternate the white with yellows or maybe pinks? I love that you are using your friend's blocks and not letting them go to waste or to someone who won't care about them as much as you do. You go girl!

Jingle 02-27-2016 06:25 PM

I would try to come up with a design to use all those blocks. Even if it meant adding another color combination of blocks. Add borders to make it a nice size .

Gay 02-27-2016 08:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jenny Penny, is this what you had in mind? I like playing with puzzles. Hope they're not too big

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543630[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]543631[/ATTACH]

This is all my feeble mind could come up with atm. One has the white on the opposite side to the other, and I think the white would have to be cut at 5x2? to make a square block.

oops, sorry for large pics, thought I had double posted for a minute.

QuiltnLady1 02-27-2016 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 7478546)
Put a strip of white on each of the long edges. This strip should be cut 1" x 5". Then you will have 5" blocks. Lay them out in alternating directions (blues going horizontally, then vertically, then horizontally.)

I think you meant 1 1/2"x5" since you want a 5" square. I would probably add alternate blocks of a similar color way to make the quilt a bit bigger. Blue and white is a great combination for a quilt.

maviskw 02-28-2016 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 7478948)
Jenny Penny, is this what you had in mind? I like playing with puzzles. Hope they're not too big

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543630[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]543631[/ATTACH]

This is all my feeble mind could come up with atm. One has the white on the opposite side to the other, and I think the white would have to be cut at 5x2? to make a square block.

oops, sorry for large pics, thought I had double posted for a minute.

I like the second layout as the dark strips make a nice pattern. But I would lay some of these 4 patches a little closer, so that the corners of the colored blocks are meeting. Keep the 4 patch pattern and move them around a little. Will make a very nice quilt.

EmiliasNana 02-28-2016 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To give you an idea what JenniePenny was trying to explain, here is a picture of the quilt I made our DGD. You could use any color with your blue squares, but mine was done with white. Good luck. I'm glad you will be putting those pretty blocks to good use.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543648[/ATTACH]

tessagin 02-28-2016 06:39 AM

I was thinking the same!

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7478614)
I like Jennipenny's idea, almost like a split rail fence.
Are you doing them by hand also?

tessagin 02-28-2016 06:40 AM

This is cute also!

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana (Post 7479192)
To give you an idea what JenniePenny was trying to explain, here is a picture of the quilt I made our DGD. You could use any color with your blue squares, but mine was done with white. Good luck. I'm glad you will be putting those pretty blocks to good use.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543648[/ATTACH]