Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with this 5 X 3 1/2 inch block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-5-x-3-1-2-inch-block-t276165.html)

profannie 02-27-2016 10:09 AM

What to do with this 5 X 3 1/2 inch block?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
I got a few box of quilting stuff from a retired quilter and found about 150 identical block like this one (sorry for my dirty mat!):[ATTACH=CONFIG]543598[/ATTACH]

It is 5 X 3 1/2 inch. Any idea how I could use it? I can bear the idea to put them away; they are all hand sewn!!!
Thanks

JenniePenny 02-27-2016 10:16 AM

Put a strip of white on each of the long edges. This strip should be cut 1" x 5". Then you will have 5" blocks. Lay them out in alternating directions (blues going horizontally, then vertically, then horizontally.)
Lay them out in an arrangement that is 13 blocks long by 11 wide (you will have 7 squares leftover).
the result will be very striking.

cjsews 02-27-2016 10:21 AM

I was thinking on the same lines as JenniePenny. You will get a basket weave look

profannie 02-27-2016 11:03 AM

Good idea to make them 5 inch, but wouldn't it be boring because the fabric is exactly the same on all the bloc? I'm kind of used to have at least 5 or 6 different fabrics in my quilt :)

JenniePenny 02-27-2016 11:51 AM

Just make 4-5 blocks and lay them out. It won't take a lot of time and you can then see where the creative process takes you. Maybe you'll decide to alternate the blue and white blocks with 5" yellow squares. That would be pretty and make it bigger.

PaperPrincess 02-27-2016 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by profannie (Post 7478570)
Good idea to make them 5 inch, but wouldn't it be boring because the fabric is exactly the same on all the bloc? I'm kind of used to have at least 5 or 6 different fabrics in my quilt :)

You can add different color strips to the blocks you have, but I also tend to think use the same additional color on all blocks to extend them. if you want more colors, I would make more blocks in another colorway and mix them with the ones you have, using the same additional color to tie everything together.
You can easily experiment a bit. Just use a long stitch to baste strips the same color to 6 or so blocks and lay them on your design wall. then do the same thing with 6 more, using strips of multiple colors. If you don't like either of these layouts, then make some additional blocks in different colorway(s).

lynnie 02-27-2016 11:53 AM

I like Jennipenny's idea, almost like a split rail fence.
Are you doing them by hand also?

profannie 02-27-2016 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7478614)
I like Jennipenny's idea, almost like a split rail fence.
Are you doing them by hand also?

God, no! :D It would take me forever !!! But I hate the idea to throw away the work of the quilter who must have spent hundred of hours doing this.

ManiacQuilter2 02-27-2016 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have rescued quilt blocks when they are dropped off at the senior center. Her is one of the quilts design I made into a Bible bag. You could alternate using white, black or gray making it look like it was woven.

JenniePenny 02-27-2016 01:06 PM

Looks great ManiacQuilter. I was hoping that somebody with design software would pop by.