Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with fraying fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-fraying-fabric-t216654.html)

WTxRed 03-18-2013 03:48 AM

I've had $12-$15 / yard fabric fray horribly, just too loose of a weave. I either pink it, get it sewn in quickly as possible, and handle it as little as possible. Good luck!

Dragonomine 03-18-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5935531)
I really have only had the super cheapo $1.50 a yard Walmart poly/cotton mix fabrics fray on me so badly that I worried about the integrity of the quilt. I just did as JulieR says and stitch with a small tight stitch, then maybe use fray check. I just avoid those altogether since I mostly make quilts anyway.

Fray check is seriously the most awesome product though, I gotta tell ya! I use it for all sorts of things, aside from quilting!

This is what I purchased when I was first starting out quilting. It frayed like crazy and I regretted being so frugal but 10+ years later those quilts are just fine!

Buckeye Rose 03-18-2013 07:02 AM

pinking shears!

BellaBoo 03-18-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny (Post 5935755)
I say to myself "life is too short" and I throw the offending fabric away.
I had read something once to the effect of "simplify your life. If it isn't useful, beautiful, or joyful, get rid of it."

Exactly! I don't have the guilt gene about throwing something away or giving it away. It is so foolish to feel guilty about having to save everything just because you have it.

Annaquilts 03-18-2013 07:58 AM

Definitely toss it or use it to stuff a dog bed. You don't need to spend your precious time making something beautiful to have it fall apart.

quiltstringz 03-18-2013 08:11 AM

Try starching it really well before cutting. Most of the time that helps a lot.
also if you didn't prewash you might try that as it seems to tighten the weave sometimes

quilter2090 03-18-2013 08:17 AM

how about running it through a serger?

IAmCatOwned 03-18-2013 09:03 AM

If it doesn't stop fraying when I have washed and dried it, I use it to make pillowcase liners for extended family members. They last quite a few years and are much less expensive than buying one.

sewplease 03-18-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5935467)
I've had Moda fray like crazy on me! In general, I just whip through the piecing as quickly as I can with as tight a stitch as possible. Then I pretend nothing on the back of the top is happening.

This made me smile.... :-)

JuneBillie 03-18-2013 03:27 PM

Thanks everyone. You have all gave me some good ideas to think about. The different pieces had been marked down from a higher price, and I loved the colors, and it is 100% cotton. I didn't think of it as terribly thin, but it does have a slick feel to it. Yes, I am a new quilter, and learning a lot on here. To me the very fact that I am even asking about it, and had considered throwing it away or used as a dog bed filler is a good sign to me that I am becoming a better quilter. :D I am still deciding, but I have thought about all the time that goes into one, and would like the next big quilt I make to be made stable with quality.