Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with fraying fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-fraying-fabric-t216654.html)

Peckish 03-18-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 5936700)
I use it to make pillowcase liners for extended family members

At the risk of sounding uncouth, what is a pillowcase "liner"?

mom-6 03-18-2013 06:38 PM

I have had very nice fabric fray like crazy and very cheap fabric hold up well.
One of the first quilts I did was made from this gorgeous decorator fabric that I should have used wider seams on. Since I didn't and it is already partially hand quilted (one of many UFOs) I am now very carefully quilting beside the ditch in the sashing catching in each seam allowance so that the likelihood of fraying is reduced. I'm hoping this will take care of the problem. Think this one will end up as a display only quilt anyway.

Maggiem 03-18-2013 08:09 PM

I had some black solid fabric, bought in a Lancaster quilt shop during a trip to the USA, fray so badly when the top was washed that the top was in danger of falling apart. Very disappointing. I used what was left to make the inner layer of cat beds. There was simply no point in endangering other quilts with it.

Unless I have an iron-clad reason to buy looser-woven fabric, I avoid it like the plague.

Pieces2 03-19-2013 04:29 AM

Trash... cheap fraying fabrics shouldn't be used in quilts. It will just fray in your quilt.

Its best to buy good quality fabric for quilting.

JoantheQuilter 03-19-2013 04:37 AM

Fraying Fabric

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 5935409)
What does everyone do with cheap fabrics that seem to do nothing but fray?

I have had "good" fabric not cut properly when purchased. Then when I cut it into strips I notice all the fraying on both sides. The strips I continue with and handle as little as possible. If I notice this before cutting, sometimes I take the time to 'straighten' the fabric and cut along the warp (?). Then you lose some of your fabric as it can be as much as 2-3" off grain. If it is a block that I'm using as a background for applique, I use Fray Check. As someone else noted...it is wonderful for this.

applique 03-19-2013 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 5935531)
I really have only had the super cheapo $1.50 a yard Walmart poly/cotton mix fabrics fray on me so badly that I worried about the integrity of the quilt. I just did as JulieR says and stitch with a small tight stitch, then maybe use fray check. I just avoid those altogether since I mostly make quilts anyway.

Fray check is seriously the most awesome product though, I gotta tell ya! I use it for all sorts of things, aside from quilting!

I make play houses out of the nylon and instead of fray check, I use fray BLOCK because it leaves a softer edge.

carolynjo 03-19-2013 05:58 AM

I agree with BJChad: zig-zag the offending fabric.

quiltmom04 03-19-2013 06:06 AM

Well, first of all, if is fraying so badly you can hardly handle it, why would you want it in a quilt? I'd get rid of it and use something with more structural ingerity!

wendiq 03-19-2013 08:18 AM

First of all, wash it......that may help you make up your mind....I had some that badly frayed. I washed it and it came out a wrinkled mess. It went in the trash!

wildyard 03-19-2013 08:30 AM

I too do the zigzag stitch. And I find that it's not necessarily cheap or thin fabric that frays, just some seems to for some reason, especially flannels.