Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do I do now? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-i-do-now-t189503.html)

DonnaQuilts 05-21-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by An Arm Long (Post 5230059)
I have done 2 inches on a baby quilt without a problem. You need to be sure both your top and backing are really square - batting too. I have also sewn a few inches onto a throw size quilt back that I felt was a little too small a margin and then cut it off when finished. But your LAQ will have to agree.

This seems to be the logical way to do it. I have had quilts come back from the LAQ with not enough backing and had to piece them. It was really disheartening. It can be done. It will just take a lot more care by the LAQ. No bigger thn it is, you could quilt it on your domestic, but if you haven't practiced, this may not be the time. It depends on your skill and sense of adventure.

Maralyn 05-21-2012 05:22 PM

I am a LAQ and have done many baby quilts where your back would have been big enough - top doesn't stretch that much for such a small quilt.

labtechkty 05-22-2012 03:21 AM

I quilt on my domestic...but in case I want to use a LAQ in the future, how much extra backing and batting should I leave...

Vat 05-22-2012 05:22 AM

There is no quilt police that says the back can't be pieced. If you have pieces left from the top, cut up the back and make a more interesting back. I have pieced backs on purpose before and they turn out very well.

Latrinka 05-22-2012 05:33 AM

I would just quilt it on a regular sewing machine.

Jingle 05-22-2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5229923)
Can you baste some additional fabric onto your backing that will enlarge it enough for your LA person to quilt it for you? Then you can take the fabric off and bind the quilt.

I think this would work. Give it a try, or just quilt yourself. I quilt all my quilts. Good luck whatever you decide.

Gabrielle's Mimi 05-22-2012 07:15 AM

I have quilted on my home machine with less than that with no problem. Since it's a small piece, why not do it yourself? Stitch in the ditch is a pretty good solution for people who are not very experienced yet. Or just free-motion loops or swirls all over. Be brave...you can do it!

vivsqt 05-22-2012 07:48 PM

As a longarmer, I have had many quilt backs come in that were not wide enough and a few that were not long enough. the reason we need the extra width on the backings is because of the clamps that we use to keep the quilts taut. I generally add 4 or 5" of muslin to the sides for my customers and it makes my job easier as well. Since your quilt is small add some length to the bottom of the backing, It would be best if you had some of your backing left over to attach back on, but if not add some muslin. On large quilts, the quilts shrink as we quilt them, so there is a chance of running out of fabric by the time we get to the end of the quilt. I don't really see a big problem with getting it quilted. if you can't find anyone to quilt it for you, email me and see what we can do to get it done.

QuiltingCrazie 05-22-2012 09:09 PM

I just did one with less on a friends longarm it was fine. 32x32 could be done on yours or I would ask a friend who does there's on a home machine. Good Luck!!!

lowjane 06-01-2012 03:14 PM

This is such a small quilt you may be very pleased at doing it yourself. Even if you just quilt it on the diagonal every 1" you would be done in no time, then just put a nice binding on it. This is how I did my very first quilt and I used 1" masking tape and stitch on both sides of the tape, removed it and then reapplied it 1" from my previous stitching

You would save $ and have a great job, If you wanted to quilt a pattern on it, I would still free motion with your domestic machine and do stippling, it looks great and is very forgiving, again the client would be thrilled!!