Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do next? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-next-t221337.html)

JLe 05-14-2013 02:46 PM

I put the names of all the options in a tin and draw out the next one to be tackled. I also tell myself that the unfinished ones are insurance against running out of things to do

csharp 05-14-2013 05:23 PM

I only work on one project at a time, but that doesn't mean I don't have the next one, and the next one, and the next one planned.. and buy fabric or fat quarters for them in the meantime....I'm always printing out patterns and ideas, slip in a bag project for a feeling of quick success, and will buy a kit for later. Right now I have two baby quilts due by Nov., so I know what's coming next. Enjoy it all is my advise.

donna13350 05-14-2013 08:48 PM

My New Year's resolution was to do one UFO in between every new project I start. That way I can satisfy my urge to get materials for new projects, but I also finish my old ones, too. So far it's working out great. I find that quilts I started years ago may or may not interest me as a "keeper"...but they will always be fine to donate, and there are so many worthy causes..just set your mind to finish one in between each new project...you always get a great sense of satisfaction just from finishing it, and it won't be there "haunting" you!

petthefabric 05-14-2013 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by JLe (Post 6064136)
I put the names of all the options in a tin and draw out the next one to be tackled. I also tell myself that the unfinished ones are insurance against running out of things to do

I like this idea. Let's see: deadline for class sample then draw from the tin.
Someone posted they need 2 baby quilts by Nov so better get started.

I must be crazy. Here's some of my deadlines:
Wed-Teach FMQ, Thurs-Plein aire at Fish Camp
This Friday: long arm quilt for customer-Dancing with the Stars is over-better get back at it.
Next Friday: long arm quilt for customer
ASAP: class sample, supply list and description for FMQ level 2
July: 1-woman show, descriptions, method of hanging, 3 more quilts (finish quilting Day Lilies)
Before summer: long arm a new bed quilt (optional, may wait another year)
ASAP: change quilt at art gallery and get internet entries completed
UFO's; permission to never complete
End of May; quilt retreat-have project organized
End of June: ASG retreat-have sewing project organized
Yep-better get back to that long arm.
Maybe I don't need a tin full of options, just a reminder list.

QandE2010 05-15-2013 07:33 AM

I normally work one project from start to finish, as my creative juices flow only if I concentrate on one or possibly two, things at a time. That's just how my mind works. I can't combine messes. (And one project does make a big mess by the time it's completed)

klgls 05-15-2013 09:06 AM

I love when I get something finished. It reminds of that great feeling so I can go back and finish a UFO. Of course, I get deterred and have a start a new project. It's a vicious circle - but a fun one! :)

petthefabric 05-16-2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 6064669)
I like this idea. Let's see: deadline for class sample then draw from the tin.
Someone posted they need 2 baby quilts by Nov so better get started.

I must be crazy. Here's some of my deadlines:
Wed-Teach FMQ, Thurs-Plein aire at Fish Camp
This Friday: long arm quilt for customer-Dancing with the Stars is over-better get back at it.
Next Friday: long arm quilt for customer
ASAP: class sample, supply list and description for FMQ level 2
July: 1-woman show, descriptions, method of hanging, 3 more quilts (finish quilting Day Lilies)
Before summer: long arm a new bed quilt (optional, may wait another year)
ASAP: change quilt at art gallery and get internet entries completed
UFO's; permission to never complete
End of May; quilt retreat-have project organized
End of June: ASG retreat-have sewing project organized
Yep-better get back to that long arm.
Maybe I don't need a tin full of options, just a reminder list.

Taught class-everyone was very happy with their progress. And they want me to teach a different FMQ & signed up for another of my classes. One woman drove 2+hours to class. I teach at a Bernina store. 2 of the ladies had new Berninas and got lots of tech support and experience on their new machines.
Opted out of plein air.
Quilt is 1/2 complete and will finish today. Doing good so far.
gotta get that new class sample finished

meldmac 05-16-2013 04:18 PM

I'm horrible can never stick to one project at a time, was like that with other crafts too.