Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do next? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-next-t221337.html)

Rhonda Lee 05-12-2013 12:55 PM

What to do next?

I've just finished a table runner and place mats for a wedding gift. I'm at a point where I can begin something new or pick up a ufo, like putting together finished blocks of the month, a leaders and enders project is close to becoming a quilt of it's own, an applique BOM is sitting on the self with only one block kinda started, orca bay has been completely cut with a few steps completed, I have a blocks done for a twin size farmers wife quilt, fabric has been washed for 2 seperate quilt kits...know what I mean? And I keep looking at patterns of quilts that really call out to me that I can hardly wait to start. So, how do 'you' decide what to do next?

bearisgray 05-12-2013 12:59 PM

I start a new project and feel guilty about the unfinished ones.

Nammie to 7 05-12-2013 01:03 PM

I work on 5 to 8 projects at a time. Right now I have a panel that I'm embellishing, also have a hand applique in the works, a quilt of valor, picking out stitches from another quilt, a block of the month with embroidery and a pieced block of the month. When I get the new patterns for the BOM I do them right away - it is too easy to put them off and then suddenly I have 6 blocks that need to be done. After the BOM's are done for the month I work on a quilt that needs piecing, then a quilt that needs quilting. In the evenings, I do the embroidery and embellishments, unless a quilt needs binding. Once I finish a quilt then I look for another project that fits into my project list - I don't want all hand work, I don't want all quilting, or piecing. By having several in the "current" pile I always have something to work on depending on my mood.

mike'sgirl 05-12-2013 01:14 PM

My guild has put out a challenge to us to finish our UFO's. We get points and whomever gets the most points gets a prize. Well the president asked if any of us had less than 17 UFO's to put on our sheet and my friend and I raised our hands, not knowing what was coming. So another lady comes up and hands us each a packet of cut fabric and a pattern. Turns out that someone had tried to put this top together and didn't finish. She also was a beginner (please don't anyone take this wrong, I too was at one time a staunch beginner) and none of her 4 patch blocks were square or even close to being the right size. So I am starting over on this addition to my UFO list. Why????? I am assuming that this quilt will be a donation quilt. So now I have all my own projects to complete, plus someone else's, that I had to start over on. Ugh! Oh well, it might get me over the hump of not wanting to mess with any of them.

humbird 05-12-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6060144)
I start a new project and feel guilty about the unfinished ones.

I start a new project and "DON'T" feel guilty about the unfiished ones!

ckcowl 05-12-2013 02:07 PM

I have numerous projects in the works all the time- I work on one for a bit, then maybe have to stop for a specific reason and work on something else for a bit- I do try to complete a couple of them before starting a new one- generally I have numerous going because I always have a hand/travel project to work on- right now I received (beginning of the year) a request for 3 wedding gift quilts from a good friend/customer- the weddings are all 3 in the fall- 2 of the quilts are finished- she picked up one, chose the 2nd and I am still working on the 3rd- then I received a request for 2 twin * antique-y* quilts for a house in Connecticut built in 1784- so I've started to work on those- I have a customer quilt to get quilted, received a call about another one to quilt- sometimes (like the 3rd wedding quilt- I worked on for a couple hours yesterday- hit a road block- became frustrated- set it aside & made 4 donation kennel quilts, hemmed 2 pairs of pants for my hubby- then started on the Connecticut quilts- so... looking at your list- maybe you should set yourself some goals- to work on each of your UFO's /WIP's (which ever they may be) and make some progress before starting anything new- finish one or two- then you will have a clear head for a new project- I do have a list a mile long of ones I personally want to do---that gives me incentive to work on what I have to do---I found if I have no (reason) for a quilt- no idea who I may give it to, or sell it to- I have a heck of a time getting it done- if I start a quilt with a specific person, place, organization or sale in mind I can get them done- if they are just because I liked the pattern or the fabric-but I have no idea who may want it- or where it may go sometimes it takes me years to get them done...

charsuewilson 05-12-2013 03:07 PM

Try a UFO. And if you get tired of it, start a new project.

sewNso 05-12-2013 03:17 PM

start a 'bucket list'. when you see a quilt you like, or a post where someone posted a pic of a quilt they finished. then when you are ready to start a new project, you can chose from that list.

quilter2090 05-12-2013 05:33 PM

I,too, have several projects going at one time. There are so many quilt patterns and so little time, I love to try new ones before I finish the current one.

jollyquilting 05-12-2013 05:39 PM

I am trying to finish a big one before I attempt another large project, kinda. I am embroidering too and still working on my Lovers Knot. Of course it is easier to work on because this one is for ME .