Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with the older versions of EQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-older-versions-eq-t247718.html)

leatheflea 06-01-2014 04:46 AM

What to do with the older versions of EQ

While cleaning my Studio I ran across the EQ6 book and disc. It seems a waste to throw these out. Can they still be used by someone else? Can I give it to a friend that would like to try it before buying?

dunster 06-01-2014 05:47 AM

It depends. When you bought EQ7 did you get the reduced price to upgrade? If so, I *think* your EQ6 license has been deactivated. You could verify that by contacting Electric Quilt.

Onebyone 06-01-2014 06:40 AM

I gave mine away. She registered the same serial number I had and I had upgraded from EQ 5. I didn't use all my activation, there is limit on version 6. But she was told she could buy more activations for $10 each if she needed them. As far as I can remember it wasn't a problem. I would check with EQ about the procedure now.

leatheflea 06-01-2014 07:45 AM

Thanks for the quick responses. Not sure what I'll do. There's still activations on mine also, I only used 2.

ManiacQuilter2 06-01-2014 08:49 AM

If you have a friend that would enjoy the program, I would give it as a gift or you could sell it on this board. I am one still running EQ5 and would like to upgrade to EQ6 just so I can have access to the free online fabric that is available on the EQ website. I was surprised when they stopped allowing EQ5 users access to the new monthly fabric line to add to our library stash.

Auntie V 06-01-2014 09:09 AM

I keep mine and refer to the books at different times. Would love to find my EQ5 Blocks book again but it was lost during a move.

dray965 06-04-2014 04:28 AM

I bought the full version of EQ7 and gave my EQ6 to a friend that seemed to be computer savvy and loved to quilt. I made that decision because she indicated that she was designing her own blocks. I regret doing that now because, after her initial excitement of receiving it and having it transferred into her name, she has not used it a single time, to my knowledge. I ask her about it from time to time but she always indicates that she isn't using it.

I really hate that because that is a very expensive program that I gave her - for free I might add. Way to expensive for someone to not be using.

Oh well. :(

charsuewilson 06-04-2014 04:59 PM

If you bought an upgrade you need to have the old copy if you need to reinstall for example, after a hard drive crash, or after buying a new computer.

Weezy Rider 06-05-2014 03:17 AM

I have both 6 and 7. 6 is used on an XP computer that is used only for craft programs and kept offline for safety.
I have to find a cable long enough to go to the router to update anything - therefore, 6 works well as it can sit without wanting reactivation. I have EQ7 on a Win7Pro laptop which is used for going online. I have to print color from the XP box - the laptop has a laser printer. I had 5 and gave it to a friend. I'd bought it used anyway.

BTW- you can migrate software. The XP box needed a larger HD than 20G. The tech migrated everything to a new HD and EQ6 didn't need a reactivation. Same box, so I don't feel I'm cheating.