Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-really-ugly-vintage-quilt-top-t61738.html)

Butterflyblue 08-28-2010 06:18 AM

Oh, after your description I was expecting much worse! I actually have a soft spot in my heart for the old utility quilts like that, since they were the type of quilts I grew up with.

Finish it and you'll have a great quilt to take camping, on picnics, or whatever else you need quilts for.

Annaquilts 08-28-2010 06:21 AM

I like it but I am big time scrappy and that homey dorkey look.

I would use the quilt for a picnic/beach blanket. If you use it that way don't be surprised it wil become your family's favorite quilt. Like some one mentioned it will be the quilt no one is afraid to use and just think of all the memories it has and all the memories your family will add.

The fabrics, including the polyester ones, are awesome. I would leave it without the added teal border.

This quilt screams to me tie me with dorky old yarn.

NewYearsOld 08-28-2010 06:22 AM

You might be surprised at how many fabrics in that quilt might bring back memories of childhood clothes made from those fabrics. Might be a good thing to take to a family reunion some day. I tell my kids what I remember from the fabrics in quilts my mom made.

nursie76 08-28-2010 06:29 AM

Maybe it is because I grew up in that era, but I kinda like it. Like a blast from the past. I like it better with out the turquoise border. Also, I too think it would look great tied! I seem to remember seeing many similar to this when I was growing up.

grammiepamie 08-28-2010 07:21 AM

I love it. You should name it Wake Up And Get Out Of Bed!!!! It inspires me to get busy with what I have to do today!!!

mayday 08-28-2010 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by litacats

Originally Posted by kit'smamma
How is your relationship with the DMIL? If it is as bad as my relationship with mine just throw it in the trunk of the car. They sure are handy when you are having a skid problem. If you like her go ahead and quilt it for the sake of the relationship. Just do diagonal lines across it to hold it together and chalk it up to your good deed for the month.

I too had the MIL from hell no way would I put a D infront of MIL,
but none the less I quite like the affect, I think if it was mine I would have sewn the squares together differently to make 4 look like a square,
but you must admit it is colourful

ME TOO!

But this is indicative of it's day and that was when probably fabric was not as plentiful and waste not want not comes to mind; I think it will be comforting and better when backed and quilted and can be used with it's rustic charm.

JANNY 08-28-2010 08:08 AM

I liked it better without the turquois border. what about putting lots of fancy embroidry stitches throughout the quilt along the seams and through the blocks like a crazy quilt, if you have a machine that will do that or do by hand if you are that ambitious.

Sew Krazy Girl 08-28-2010 09:12 AM

It's not bad. In fact, I like scrappy. Looks like something I would make. Adding the turquoise is a stroke of genius. I say keep it and display it.
Sew Krazy Girl

Stitchnripper 08-28-2010 09:32 AM

Count me in with those of you who like it! Scrappy always works for me.

Kas 08-28-2010 09:38 AM

I love it!