Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-t77299.html)

janb 11-20-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
I have recently found out that my foster mother has been diagnosed with cancer. She is in stage 4 of what started out as breast cancer, ( undetected), that has spread to her bones. This is the woman who taught me to sew when I was young. Does anyone think making her a lapquilt is a silly idea? I am 1000 miles away and cannot be there to help, and I so want her to know I am thinking about her thru her journey. I feel helpless.

This is a great idea...something bright and cheery would be just the ticket.

quiltnmom 11-20-2010 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by pojo
Do it now you will never regret it.
Make it simple.

I agree! It is a GREAT idea.

117becca 11-20-2010 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Do not tarry in getting this done. Make a quick pattern and get it sent out. Another idea is a long more narrow quilt to use as a shawl .I am a nurse and see lots of cancer patients,they get so cold.
Rae

That is a wonderful idea!!!

i also was a foster parent - and so appreciative that i have a couple boys who are now 20 & 17 that i am in contact w/ It is wonderful to know now that they so appreciate everything we went thru and how those things have helped mold them into the kind wonderful young men they are today.

She will sooooooo very much appreciate it!! And if you haven't reminded her how much you appreciate what she did for you - get that phone call made, the email sent, card sent and let her know! You will make her day for many days to come!

And hugs to you

quilter68 11-20-2010 08:08 AM

You're gonna make me cry! It is a wonderful idea.

Mariposa 11-20-2010 08:43 AM

Please make and send her a lap quilt made by you! Keep it simple, so it can be finished quickly, and mailed. She will appreciate your gesture of love!
Sending her a letter or note card, say, once a week, will help her to know how much you care. She will treasure your efforts and your concern.
You both are in my prayers!

Stitchnripper 11-20-2010 09:03 AM

I think it is a wonderful, thoughtful, loving, and useful idea. It will mean a lot to her.

deema 11-20-2010 09:09 AM

I think sewing a comfort item for the woman who taught you to sew, when she needs comfort is the only logical thing to do when you cannot be there in person. Imagine how proud and blessed you would feel if your daughter sewed something for you! It is the most perfect idea. Please do it.

Annz 11-20-2010 10:06 AM

Making her a quilt will show her how much you appreciated her and the sewing that she taught her. A quilt and a pillow would be nice.

chamby 11-20-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by fidgety
I have recently found out that my foster mother has been diagnosed with cancer. She is in stage 4 of what started out as breast cancer, ( undetected), that has spread to her bones. This is the woman who taught me to sew when I was young. Does anyone think making her a lapquilt is a silly idea? I am 1000 miles away and cannot be there to help, and I so want her to know I am thinking about her thru her journey. I feel helpless.

I do not think it is silly at all. She will just love it. It will be like having you there with her. I say go for it.

debbieumphress 11-20-2010 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's never too late while they are here to show your undying love for them. Giving a quilt is like sending a big hug. Wish you both well. Prayers going up as we speak. HUGS