Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do u do that would bring the quilt police? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-u-do-would-bring-quilt-police-t195281.html)

Neesie 08-28-2013 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6260141)
I feel like I should whisper my crime: I use a half-inch seam allowance. !horrors!

Nothing at all wrong with that! I take 1/2" seams, when I'm making dog beds or using fleece. :thumbup:

cheriami 08-28-2013 06:55 PM

I confess to using my serger to piece my backs and sew my borders on. I have even pieced entire quilts.

stablemom 08-28-2013 08:08 PM

Maybe we should be listing the things we do that would keep the quilt police away! There seems to be fewer of those! hahaha, the things I do that are against the quilt laws....so many are already mentioned here!!! Great thread.

leakus 08-28-2013 08:11 PM

Well... After laughing and agreeing with most of the wrongdoings, I canshare a couple I didn't see or missed: when I am too anxious to finish a quilt, I sandwich it and use 505 instead of pins, so when I quilt it, the fabric fokds underneath because I didn't do a good job. Oh well, I quilt over the fold to hide it!
If I left too much of selvage and the white shows.... I use a permanent marker.
Last, if the seams don't lay to the right side, I make a cut near the seam and iron it to the "right" side
Lol- all the other "quilt police" no no, have been mentioned!

zozee 08-28-2013 08:47 PM

hilarious!

Tropical 08-28-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5382537)
When all else fails and I can not trim a seam well enough to get it to flatten, I hit it with a hammer, works every time ;)

This one I will have to try. Thanks, Deborahlees. :):):)

SherriB 08-29-2013 06:03 AM

I would keep the Quilt Police to busy to let them ever leave if they came to my home. LOL!! I am guilty of so many the offences listed. But I know I am in excellent company and feel proud to be a member. :thumbup: The worst I have done lately is glue seams down so they won't go the wrong way when I am sewing. I hate using pins and gluing is so much safer and fun!!!

GrannieAnnie 08-29-2013 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6117610)
I live by the rule that if you could not see it from the back of a galloping horse, it does not exist. I made a quilt for our family physician recently and she was so in love with it she gushed about how she was going to take it home and hang it right up on her wall, and I told her to give it back then, because I do not make quilts for hanging on walls, or keeping in closets, and that if she was not going to use it and abuse it, I was taking it back ! She has since promised that it is getting an exuberant amount of use !

Guess we're all different. If someone was so proud of a quilt I'd made that they wanted to hang it on a wall, I'd be flattered. It is being "used", it's being art instead of a blanket.

GrannieAnnie 08-29-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by cheriami (Post 6261284)
I confess to using my serger to piece my backs and sew my borders on. I have even pieced entire quilts.

Don't see anything wrong with that.

CookieZenmilk 07-22-2014 04:45 PM

love this one: "I make NO mistakes, they are design features"