Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do when lack Sewing Mood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-when-lack-sewing-mood-t47315.html)

craftybear 05-28-2010 04:02 PM

that is great you found some sewing and quilting friends!

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I was a fanatic sewer in my younger days. made all my own clothes and as each of my neices went to K, I made them a complete wardrobe for 4 seasons. As a receptionist I started to do my cathedral window, small pieces hand done under my desk. that took me many years. I left it be for over 9 years then went ahead to finish it. My mother passed and she had been collecting some of my scraps cutting them into grandmothers fan. So when I retired and downsized and moved a new neighbor saw my CWquilt and invited me to join a small group. I think having new friends, talking quilts and gosipping once a week has brought the bug out again. I think when you find a friend with a sewing interest you will feel more comfortable. What about inviting some neighbors over to sew or mend or alter or create holiday stuff. Make the cookies and coffee just add people.

SuziC 05-28-2010 04:45 PM

Sometimes i will get out all my quilting books and just look at the pictures. More often than not, i will see something that will jump start the mood. Don't worry i think we have all been through that. It always temporary. Before you know it you will get back into the groove! Don't let your new machine scare you...just play around with all the stitches and see what happens! :lol:

lots2do 05-28-2010 04:56 PM

We have a little branch of the library here that is in danger of closing due to budget concerns and a drop in patronage. I am thinking of asking to organize a little knitting group to meet there for an hour every other week. It will help them and allow me to meet up with some likeminded people. Plus there is a great bench that runs along an old fashioned window that is just begging for knitters or handwork stitchers to sit there and work. Perhaps you could find a way to do the same.

And I get the blahs too when I think I should be enthused about quilting. For me, when my life gets too hectic, I just can't concentrate. So I do a lot of reading in my free time and some knitting that I don't have to think about as much.

Gal 05-28-2010 06:57 PM

During recent illness and afterwards I felt like this , I was very flat as I wanted to join in the Funky House swap and I tried but I just could not manage it. I kept looking through all my quilt mags and got new books from the library to keep me interested in quilting. I came on this sight as it is so good for all kinds of reasons. I am also using a new machine which makes things go even slower till I get to grips with it. My getting back into quilting has been a slow process, I too have sat in front of my machine but could do no sewing! Just take one day at a time is my advise and do not try to force things. Gal

sabrinaquilts 05-28-2010 08:55 PM

Dear Ladies,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. They have a ring of testimonial authenticity that I am looking to hear or read. I know one of my problem has been not having success in finding like minded people. Since I don't have the opportunity to go out much or for long periods of time, my chances have rather been slim. Through my therapy sessions from dealing with the post partum depression, I never had trouble finding friends but it turned out I was attracting the kind of friends that would use me to help make them feel good. Since I had learned to recognize when a friendship starts to head that way there are not that many choices anymore. The area I had moved to are not very friendly. I am in my late thirties with four young children. Most of the people around me are retired, rich, or grown children. They are not too kind with mess and chaos associate with having multiple boys.

How do I go about meeting the people in my neighborhood to see about getting the quilters together? I always worry about doing that. Getting to really know the neighbors. What if there is an argument? Now there is war in the neighborhood or am I being too paranoid? I know how some quilters can be a bit steadfast about how things should be done and that is that. I always wanted to be in those old fashioned quilting bees that I read so often about in books.

nursie76 05-28-2010 09:00 PM

Wow! An 820! You are so lucky!

But seriously, sometimes being so ill just kicks the stuffing out of you. Your lack of motivation may definitely be a side effect of being sick. Give it a little time and if it doesn't improve I would think a recheck by the doc might be in order.
Look at it this way, at least you have ventured far enough to get your greeting entered. Mine says, Hello, Let's play! ;-)

I just took the classes for my new 730E have had her since end of March, but these were the first classes I could attend. Learned soooo much!

Take care and be gentle with yourself.

sabrinaquilts 05-28-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Wow! An 820! You are so lucky!

But seriously, sometimes being so ill just kicks the stuffing out of you. Your lack of motivation may definitely be a side effect of being sick. Give it a little time and if it doesn't improve I would think a recheck by the doc might be in order.
Look at it this way, at least you have ventured far enough to get your greeting entered. Mine says, Hello, Let's play! ;-)

I just took the classes for my new 730E have had her since end of March, but these were the first classes I could attend. Learned soooo much!

Take care and be gentle with yourself.

I want to believe it is because of the after effects of being so sick but that was weeks ago. When the count start to be replaced by months I start to wonder. I really like your greeting. I might have to steal it. It took me days just to come up with "Happy Quilting!" I did put in the exclamation mark instead of a period. I am planning on never buying another sewing machine again. So I decided to want the mother of all machines. I have worn out three sewing machines in 4 years. The first one is really not my fault. The repair guy did it so I got a deal on a new one.

nursie76 05-28-2010 09:14 PM

Sabrina, I am sooo sorry you have lost your zip. If it is spilling over into other areas of your life, then I would definitely have the doc check you out. On the other hand, I'll be once you take the class on your new baby, you will be just chock full of all sorts of new and interesting projects!
God Bless!

weezie 05-28-2010 09:40 PM

I just do something else. I don't feel a requirement to quilt; it's strictly a mood thing for me and I have no feelings of guilt if I'm not in the mood. There's no great demand for my completed quilts and it takes as long as it takes to complete one.

Kitsie 05-28-2010 10:42 PM

Go and do other things for a few weeks. Close the door to your sewing room or put your quilting all away. (I just went through about a month of that.) Picked up a magazine one day and saw a pattern that really grabbed me and then I was back in it full time! It felt like being afraid that after investing so much time and money into quilting that I'd finished with it and so had failed myself. A bit drastic perhaps but obviously we all seem to have more in common than we thought. Something I learned when suffering panic attacks: "Let time pass"