Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do when lack Sewing Mood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-when-lack-sewing-mood-t47315.html)

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hpylady
Play my guitar or banjo, maybe throw in the harmonica! :thumbup:

That is a very good idea. I recently learned to play the piano. It was a life long dream of mine. I don't usually resort to my piano because I am not very good at sight reading. I know I am too hard on myself. I grew up admiring the classics. I should hit the keys for fun more often.

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
I look thru the quilting magazines I have, or the sewing patterns or sometimes I just go play in the sewing room. If I am still not motivated by all this, I go read a good book. Remember "there is a time for everything under the heavens" and I figure it's my time to take a break.

I really like your last line.

Judie 06-02-2010 09:44 PM

Another thing I found that has helped me get through some things I'd just rather skip is to set a timer for 15 min... do as much as I can in that time.. but when the timer goes off, I stop.. do something I rather do for some specified time, and then go at the 'chore' thing again.

What I've found is that I can get quite a lot done in the time I've set.. and I can keep at it because I know that timer will go off and I can move on to something else.. Seems like a big job in small bites isn't as overwhelming.

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by tuesy

Originally Posted by hpylady
Tuesy: How about some pictures of your dishclothes? :)

Here's the 3 latest. The one in the middle has been bleached.. (got washed today and I use bleach) The first one is the color that the blue marbled looks before bleach and the last one is one that I did last night albiet on bigger needles since I had used my other needles to show my friend how to knit and had a start on it for her.. :lol:

Hey those are the same dishclothes that I knit too. I stopped knitting them because I got burned out. Then I did hats and one of my sisters got me burned out by trying to turn me into a production machine. Those are really nice dishclothes. I use them too. I give some to my friends that love them too. I skip my sisters because they are not much of a fan of my homemade items.

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Another thing I found that has helped me get through some things I'd just rather skip is to set a timer for 15 min... do as much as I can in that time.. but when the timer goes off, I stop.. do something I rather do for some specified time, and then go at the 'chore' thing again.

What I've found is that I can get quite a lot done in the time I've set.. and I can keep at it because I know that timer will go off and I can move on to something else.. Seems like a big job in small bites isn't as overwhelming.

I totally agree. I pop in a book on CD when I quilt. When the disc is done I stop and do something else. I have been listening to the "Twilight Saga" series because my DH got tired of hearing me listening to the same book CD over and over again. I now have all four and sometimes I would listen to one after another. Kind of like a little "Twilight" week feast. I can tell my DH is thinking about buying my some other books on CD. He is getting tired of them.

Judie 06-02-2010 09:54 PM

I do the same thing!! I love books on tape!! I check them out from our local public library.. They are the greatest thing since earphones came into being!!

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Thea
I too hit the sewing blues. Every day
I go into my sewing room and sit there looking around, putting my machine on and do nothing. My son has been diagnosed with Lou Gerhigs disease (ALS). He is only 34. I'm trying to make him a quilt to keep his legs warm but can't get started. Any suggestions?

Thea, did you read N.J.linda's suggestion on page 7? It sounded like a good thing to add. I am sorry for your husband. I almost lost my oldest son to drowning almost four years ago. It really changes your make up. Even though your son is 34, he is still your little boy. Quilts for men are hard to do. I should know. I have four boys with a husband that is picky about those things. Our list of baby boy names consist of two names. When the last pregnancy was another boy I screamed at the technician that she can't be serious. I don't have anymore boy names left. My baby girl name list was a mile long. Sabrina was on the top. I had been resorting to using names from my husband's family heritage. Lucky I could only have four otherwise I would have to try my side. My side of the family names does not sound good in English.

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
I am in the process of moving . Some day I HOPE. There's been one thing after another and moving has been taking Forever. Well my machine got packed away and so i have just been organizing pressing ans sorting all the scraps that didn't get packed yet. it has been quet and very theraputic for me and if I ever get moved I have a ton of things to sew up and be in the groove again.

Moving yuck. Luck had it that I ended up pregnant the last two times we moved. Never again!

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by marla
Boy do I know what you mean. I started piecing together a quilt and then was dx with breast cancer. My life began to spin out of control and I rushed to get yard work and other things done, leaving my quiltingsitting on the dining room table until almost time for surgery. So I moved it to the sewing room. Now I am 2 1/2 wks post surgery. Just now getting adjusted mentally and physically. Just not ready to sit at the machine and fear that if I don'tdo this soon, it will be put off for a long time. Guess that is just part of the trauma and recovery.

I am sorry that you had breast cancer. I hope you are well now. After feeling this way for weeks now I was thinking the same as you. I had never felt like this with quilting since I started four years ago. I was worried that I would have to give it up like I had to with my scrapbooking. I had to drop it because of post partum depression. The pictures were causing me stress. From what I have read this is a normal part of the quilting life. I still scrapbook once a month to keep myself from abandoning it permanently. If you and I could stay quilting it will come back again. Lots of people have posted some very good suggestions. I like that there are many ranges.

Deborah12687 06-03-2010 03:42 AM

When I get in a quilting slump I first make a batch of chocolate chip cookies eat a few with a big glass of milk. Then I go to my sewing corner stand in the middle of it and click my quilted slippers and say.... Theres no place like quilting...there is no place like quilting!Heheheheh! :lol: