Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do when lack Sewing Mood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-when-lack-sewing-mood-t47315.html)

franie 05-31-2010 09:22 AM

It happens but not to me--not that I can remember. I have the opposite problem--I get cranky because I can't seem to have the time to sew. Summer is bad for that. I get inspired being around other quilters--and that happens (inspiration) more than I can keep up with. Hope it all comes back soon for you. Congrats on the new sewing machine! Just jump in and sew on it! I doubt it will break before you have classes. Let us know what works for you.

jan22 05-31-2010 03:28 PM

Now and then I get into a slump. I'll take a break and read some quilting novels, then I'll go through my stash, feel the fabric, think of what I could do with it. Next I go through my many patterns and pics of ideas I've downloaded on my computer. Generally after all that I'm ready to jump into a project. Sometimes at my guild meeting I'll see something from show n'tell that I really like and it will motivate me to start a new project. Notice I said start, did I mention finish??

countrymaid 06-01-2010 09:28 AM

Find a mystery quilt with all the directions posted. It helped me by having all the directions written out in steps. I didn't have to think ahead just follow until it was done. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the end result picture, but when broken down, you work step by step.

franie 06-01-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jan22
Now and then I get into a slump. I'll take a break and read some quilting novels, then I'll go through my stash, feel the fabric, think of what I could do with it. Next I go through my many patterns and pics of ideas I've downloaded on my computer. Generally after all that I'm ready to jump into a project. Sometimes at my guild meeting I'll see something from show n'tell that I really like and it will motivate me to start a new project. Notice I said start, did I mention finish??

YA on the finishing a new project. We should do a count on how many UFOs we have.

grammypatty7 06-01-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
What do you do when you can't seem to get back into the mood of quilting? I know for some that maybe a blasphemy, but let us just pretend seriously for a second. I don't mean burned out of doing quilting. Maybe unmotivated might be a better description. Quilting used to be an escape. I used to sew at least 3-8 hours everyday faithfully. Now I have a new sewing machine but even that is not working to boost my enthusiasim because I have to take classes to learn to really use it.

What do you do when you suddenly drop the desire to quilt and know you really need to get back into it?

That will happen periodically but I love to read and will read. It's also a good time to do some good house cleaning and after a week or so, I'm ready to get back to quilting. I also do computer crafting and work with photos. I'm never away from quilting for very long as I will miss it too much. As a hand quilter, I try to spend some time working on piecing a new project while handquilting on one. When the hand quilting is completed, the next one is usuallyready to sandwich and begin hand quilting. I quilt in panels and just try to keep a good rotation going. It's very rare that I'm between quilting projects.

Don't worry about your down time. That's a good time to look through your books and magazines and think about what you want to do. I too bought a new machine last fall and still keep the manual handy for reference but I'm settling in with it nicely and love piecing on it as it's a dream to sew on - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0.

Fiber Artist 06-01-2010 08:42 PM

shop for fabric!!!

Judie 06-01-2010 09:18 PM

this may sound silly to some.. but when I get in a slump I do someting that pumps a lot of oxygen into my system.. My favorite (though not always possible) is to put on some tapes and sing, LOUDLY.. warm up a bit.. and sing your heart out.. I don't think anyone can stay down too long when they get their blood pumping and their brain full of oxygenated blood.. If you don't like to sing, do some exercise, or even deep breathing.. Just get that oxygen in... It's amamzing what a bit of heavy breathing will do for your outlook!

hpylady 06-01-2010 09:37 PM

Judy, I do that too! Sing, Sing, Sing. Of course, I wait till my husband goes to work, but my grandkids love it. They think I am silly. I also throw in a few happy dance moves. :)

DebraK 06-01-2010 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
this may sound silly to some.. but when I get in a slump I do someting that pumps a lot of oxygen into my system.. My favorite (though not always possible) is to put on some tapes and sing, LOUDLY.. warm up a bit.. and sing your heart out.. I don't think anyone can stay down too long when they get their blood pumping and their brain full of oxygenated blood.. If you don't like to sing, do some exercise, or even deep breathing.. Just get that oxygen in... It's amamzing what a bit of heavy breathing will do for your outlook!

I like your style!

sabrinaquilts 06-02-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judie

It is funny you should say that because I have been singing in the shower lately. I haven't done that in over a year. I sang to my 3 year old today while I was putting him down for a nap. First he started by covering his ears, I think he was trying to be funny, then he put his hands down and settled in. That means he stuck his finger in his mouth and brought up his blankie to rub against his face. Is this the biggest compliment a singer can get or what?