Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do when lack Sewing Mood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-when-lack-sewing-mood-t47315.html)

debbieumphress 05-30-2010 06:16 AM

Summer time is a little harder to quilt all day. However, I always have some project going from easy to "pay attention". That way I don't get bored. What I do get bored with is housework, garden, etc. Never quilting. I even have projects that are ready to grab if I have to stay at the hospital with a relative, or travel, or overnight stays. I always have a project with me. So to get motivated, sounds like you have been given some great ideas on this post. Sometimes you sit down and start and then it all comes back. Put on an audio tape and listen to a book or watch a good series or dvd's you like..Listen to music. I like Vathy Miller. She has cd's on quilting songs and they are wonderful. She has about 6 or 7 out. You can only get thenm online at her site. So grab a chair, have a seat, and let the quilting mood just flow back in.........Happy quilting

iltoaz 05-30-2010 06:40 AM

I look at everyone's pictures here and am immediately in the "mood" picking a patter, fabric, etc. I'm ready to sew!

rosalyne 05-30-2010 07:00 AM

It happens every once in awhile. Clean up and organize your sewing room and go thru your fabric and organize and colorize the lot. It will come back. Also start looking a magazines after you accomplish that. Before u know it u will start to become inspired again .Roz from Maine!

tuesy 05-30-2010 07:54 AM

I will either knit or crochet just to give my mind (what little I have left) the break it wants or needs. By the time I'm done with my knitting (I make dishcloths), then I'm ready to get back into the quilting..

hpylady 05-30-2010 09:00 AM

Tuesy: How about some pictures of your dishclothes? :)

garysgal 05-30-2010 10:29 AM

I look thru the quilting magazines I have, or the sewing patterns or sometimes I just go play in the sewing room. If I am still not motivated by all this, I go read a good book. Remember "there is a time for everything under the heavens" and I figure it's my time to take a break.

eleu16 05-30-2010 03:47 PM

Some days are like this you are not in the mood or not inspired or you get stucked in a project, then I do something else like scrapbooking, cardmaking,knitting ,drawing or spend some time with friends
only chatting , playing a game . This is like taking vacation from quilting. After this I go back to my sewing machine with new enthusiasm.
Looking forward to read more about this. :-D

EC 05-30-2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Needler
I set up both machines and take turns using them as I learn the new one. New machines are so complex today that it can definately deter you for a while as you can not just go go go like the older one. Switching back and forth can keep your desire peeked while you learn. Happy Sewing :thumbup:

I totally agree. I've had a "new" machine for a couple of years now (what an adjustment), but I still keep the old one out, and also a treadle. One is good for something and the others are good for something else. Sometimes I have them threaded with different colors so that I don't have to keep switching threads. But my sewing room keeps getting smaller and smaller.

You'll get back in the groove soon! :)

PunkQuilter 05-30-2010 07:34 PM

sabrina,

I have machine envy over your 820! Don't worry about feeling uninspired, just remind yourself it's only temporary. Things will change soon, and your quilting life will get back to usual.

gingerella 05-30-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
What do you do when you can't seem to get back into the mood of quilting? I know for some that maybe a blasphemy, but let us just pretend seriously for a second. I don't mean burned out of doing quilting. Maybe unmotivated might be a better description. Quilting used to be an escape. I used to sew at least 3-8 hours everyday faithfully. Now I have a new sewing machine but even that is not working to boost my enthusiasim because I have to take classes to learn to really use it.

What do you do when you suddenly drop the desire to quilt and know you really need to get back into it?

Ya know, I think I know just what you are going through. I've been there often in my life. I'm just now coming out of a real funk and it's taken me many many months. Maybe you feel overwhelmed by your new machine and maybe deep down you feel like you'll never be able to do all those wonderful things the sales persons showed you could be done with this machine.

That's what's happened to me over and over again, as I look back on it. Many machines and many blue funks later, I still fight it. I just go into my sewing room every day, even if it's for only an hour. I make pinwheels, stars, whatever, and set them aside, knowing some time I'll get back in the groove.