Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do when lack Sewing Mood? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-when-lack-sewing-mood-t47315.html)

sally2c 05-29-2010 06:45 PM

I have found that when I go through a personal loss of a friend or relative or other emotional event that it takes time to get the creative bug, but it does come eventually.

mojo11 05-29-2010 07:09 PM

I'm feeling the same way. Help!

galvestonangel 05-29-2010 07:14 PM

I know the feeling, I feel better knowing I am not alone. I have been buying fabric and getting excited about different paterns, doing a BOM, have a couple of other quilts in the works, and I can't seem to make that first step up to my sewing room. And when I do make it up there, I usually am not happy with what I do. I even go thru thoughts of getting rid of my machine and all my fabric. Some of mine, I believe, comes from taking on too many projects, as another poster had mentioned. I have more ideas than I have time. I did join a sewing group, which helps a little, but I am not working on my projects there. I know I waste a lot of time I could be quilting and that makes me feel worse. Like everything, I think this too will pass.

MGW 05-29-2010 08:15 PM

Is way I have 3 projects going all in the same time jumping from one to another and if that don't work I bake.

Pat G 05-29-2010 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
What do you do when you can't seem to get back into the mood of quilting? I know for some that maybe a blasphemy, but let us just pretend seriously for a second. I don't mean burned out of doing quilting. Maybe unmotivated might be a better description. Quilting used to be an escape. I used to sew at least 3-8 hours everyday faithfully. Now I have a new sewing machine but even that is not working to boost my enthusiasim because I have to take classes to learn to really use it.

What do you do when you suddenly drop the desire to quilt and know you really need to get back into it?

Sounds like you need to take a break from the sewing machine for awhile. Get your mind off it & fabrics & get involved with something else for awhile. I've been at your point at times.

Pat G 05-29-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I am in the same boat, just can't get motivated.

Where is it written that we have to always be into quilting? There is more to life. It's supposed to be fun but we sometimes put so much pressure on ourselves. Maybe I should speak for myself only though. I always manage to come back to it though.

For me, it was finding a new very unusual pattern for a table runner. I had to search for a 9 degree ruler it requires. I won't be able to get to it for awhile though. Got to do some painting around the house first.

trolley station 05-30-2010 03:58 AM

How about sorting and arranging your fabrics. Maybe the feel and the colors will inspire you to start with something small. A new machine takes a bit of getting used to. Good Luck

TammyD 05-30-2010 04:11 AM

Hi! Congradulations on getting a new machine! When I got my new machine it was intimidating. I spent the first week just reading the manual and learning about it. That really helped my confidence level. It sews like a champ! Good thoughts sent your way. :D

rufus2 05-30-2010 06:06 AM

I have not had the energy to quilt not just piece. I have so many quilts that need quilting and I can't get to them. This has been going on for months now. When I was cleaning up my sewing room and wrapping the fabric I came across a whole cloth quilt that I started maybe 8 years ago. It is beautiful and something in me motivated me to do hand quilting instead of machine quilting. I have been doing some every day and enjoying it so much. My fingers are sore now so I went in and started a quilt on my sewing machine. I am now in the mood again. Watch out!!!~

rufus2 05-30-2010 06:07 AM

I have not had the energy to quilt not just piece. I have so many quilts that need quilting and I can't get to them. This has been going on for months now. When I was cleaning up my sewing room and wrapping the fabric I came across a whole cloth quilt that I started maybe 8 years ago. It is beautiful and something in me motivated me to do hand quilting instead of machine quilting. I have been doing some every day and enjoying it so much. My fingers are sore now so I went in and started a quilt on my sewing machine. I am now in the mood again. Watch out!!!~