Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you consider to be the very best tip that you got from this board? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-consider-very-best-tip-you-got-board-t220591.html)

dray965 05-03-2013 05:29 AM

What do you consider to be the very best tip that you got from this board?

I know it will be hard to narrow it down to one. LOL

I have received so much help from all of you, that it is hard for me to just pick one. But right now, I think it is when I asked how to cut borders that were 16 1/2-inch by 112-inch. I'm new to all this and was sooo scared to measure and cut it.

I received several good suggestions, but the one that was best (at least in my opinion) was that of not cutting, but to tear it.

If I wasn't scared of ruining that material before, I really was when I read that suggestion. LOL But I called my mom. She said that in the 'old days' (she's 86) that they never cut, but always tore...that if the fabric is good and not of cheap quality, it will tear perfectly.

I did it. O Happy Days! <grin> I've not measured nor cut a big border since.

So...what's your best one?

Stitchnripper 05-03-2013 06:02 AM

I can't recall all of them- so many. Most recently was the help I got "rehabbing" my 401a. Also basting with Elmer's washable school glue.

Tartan 05-03-2013 06:49 AM

So many great tips and links that I cannot recall them all. A few are Elmer's glue for bindings, appliqué sandwiching, prepping my needle for hand sewing, painter's tape on the bed of my machine for perfect binding joins.....

gramajo 05-03-2013 07:08 AM

Definitely glue basting is the best. :thumbup:

Sewnoma 05-03-2013 07:10 AM

I think for me it was sewing machine set up and having tables to the left of the machine to support my quilt. I originally read about that on something Leah Day wrote and was working on it, but the actual setup I ended up with, I copied almost identically from someone here. :) It's still not quite *perfect* but it's the best I've had so far.

michelleoc 05-03-2013 07:37 AM

Glue basting!

Txsuthrn 05-03-2013 07:41 AM

I am such a newbie. I'd have to say ALL. Of them! This board is my nightly reading before I go to sleep!

MartiMorga 05-03-2013 07:45 AM

There have been some great tips on this board. I have incorporated many and couldn't begin to tell you which is my favorite. I do love the Elmers glue basting, too.

crafty pat 05-03-2013 08:10 AM

I said on a thread that quilting for very long was hurting my back and someone answered back that I should put door stops in back of my machine and tilt it forward. It sure helped and made my quilting so much better. I can quilt for much longer time now.

Quilter 65 05-03-2013 08:11 AM

I have sewn garments for many years, but when I started quilting, this was the go-to place for information. I have honestly learned so much that I couldn't enumerate them all. Plus everyone is so willing to help and offer advice. The encouragement is invaluable.