Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you consider to be the very best tip that you got from this board?

at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma

What do you consider to be the very best tip that you got from this board?

I know it will be hard to narrow it down to one. LOL

I have received so much help from all of you, that it is hard for me to just pick one. But right now, I think it is when I asked how to cut borders that were 16 1/2-inch by 112-inch. I'm new to all this and was sooo scared to measure and cut it.

I received several good suggestions, but the one that was best (at least in my opinion) was that of not cutting, but to tear it.

If I wasn't scared of ruining that material before, I really was when I read that suggestion. LOL But I called my mom. She said that in the 'old days' (she's 86) that they never cut, but always tore...that if the fabric is good and not of cheap quality, it will tear perfectly.

I did it. O Happy Days! I've not measured nor cut a big border since.

So...what's your best one?

I can't recall all of them- so many. Most recently was the help I got "rehabbing" my 401a. Also basting with Elmer's washable school glue.

Power Poster
    So many great tips and links that I cannot recall them all. A few are Elmer's glue for bindings, appliqué sandwiching, prepping my needle for hand sewing, painter's tape on the bed of my machine for perfect binding joins.....

Definitely glue basting is the best.

I think for me it was sewing machine set up and having tables to the left of the machine to support my quilt. I originally read about that on something Leah Day wrote and was working on it, but the actual setup I ended up with, I copied almost identically from someone here. It's still not quite *perfect* but it's the best I've had so far.

Glue basting!

I am such a newbie. I'd have to say ALL. Of them! This board is my nightly reading before I go to sleep!

There have been some great tips on this board. I have incorporated many and couldn't begin to tell you which is my favorite. I do love the Elmers glue basting, too.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I said on a thread that quilting for very long was hurting my back and someone answered back that I should put door stops in back of my machine and tilt it forward. It sure helped and made my quilting so much better. I can quilt for much longer time now.

I have sewn garments for many years, but when I started quilting, this was the go-to place for information. I have honestly learned so much that I couldn't enumerate them all. Plus everyone is so willing to help and offer advice. The encouragement is invaluable.

Blog Entries
    To be prepared to admit you need advise from others and are willing to listen. So many helpful people who. Don't make you feel stupid .
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Just got back from the Paducah Quilt Show and I bought a LOT of fabric from any different vendors - including Eleanor Burns - whose employees tear the fabrics - I have them all stacked on my counter and the torn fabrics do not look a bit different than the scissor cut fabrics - no distortion, etc. Very good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by dray965 View Post
    I know it will be hard to narrow it down to one. LOL

I have received so much help from all of you, that it is hard for me to just pick one. But right now, I think it is when I asked how to cut borders that were 16 1/2-inch by 112-inch. I'm new to all this and was sooo scared to measure and cut it.

I received several good suggestions, but the one that was best (at least in my opinion) was that of not cutting, but to tear it.

If I wasn't scared of ruining that material before, I really was when I read that suggestion. LOL But I called my mom. She said that in the 'old days' (she's 86) that they never cut, but always tore...that if the fabric is good and not of cheap quality, it will tear perfectly.

I did it. O Happy Days! I've not measured nor cut a big border since.

So...what's your best one?
    Nikki in MO

Glue basting.

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Have to give 2 --- There are no quilt police and that it is better finished than perfect. Both very liberating.

To admire a quilt from a galloping horse!

Blog Entries
    My favorite and best tip was to have confidence, and not be concerned about "the quilting police". Next favorite was to use bed risers to raise up my cutting surface. Helped my aching back!!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Please tell me about the glue basting please

There is a tutorial on the glue basting if that would help. The jest of it is, you use Elmer's white school glue. You know those little bottles in the back to school section. You want the washable school glue. Instead of using pins, you use the glue to put the quilt sandwich together. A little bit of glue goes a long way. Give it a day or 2 to dry and quilt. After you finish your quilt, wash it. The glue is all gone. No pins. No pin marks. It really works like a charm as simple as it sounds.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
    There is a tutorial on the glue basting if that would help. The jest of it is, you use Elmer's white school glue. You know those little bottles in the back to school section. You want the washable school glue. Instead of using pins, you use the glue to put the quilt sandwich together. A little bit of glue goes a long way. Give it a day or 2 to dry and quilt. After you finish your quilt, wash it. The glue is all gone. No pins. No pin marks. It really works like a charm as simple as it sounds.
    Where can I find the tutorial? Youtube?

so many good ones it is hard to narrow it down.

I think the most helpful tip I received from this board is when someone mentioned that they put about a 3/4 inch lift on the back side of their sewing machine to ease shoulder tension when sewing. After sewing for probably over 50 years it had never occurred to me to do that and it makes such a difference on how long I can continue to sew without pain! So thankful for that tip.

Mary Ellen's Best Press
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Not pressing my quilt binding before I sew it on the quilt. It's sooooo much easier just folding and sewing.

Blog Entries
    The best tip I've had: "Join quiltingboard.com". To all of my fellow quilters and Board members. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me in my sewing career. I am overwhelmed with your knowledge, expertise and willingness to share and help. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And a great big HUG! Yolanda Wood River

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast