Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you cut fabric on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-cut-fabric-t127989.html)

poconel 06-05-2011 02:08 PM

I am 6' tall, so totally understand anyone who has back pain from being stooped over to cut fabric. I am very lucky that my husband asked a friend of his to help him make a cutting table for me. DH found a picture on either Horn of America or Koala sewing furniture & made a table that was to my specific height for me. Both sides fold down when not in use & I have storage from two sides underneath. When I am basting quilts, I have 2 - 6' folding tables that I set up & I put the bed lifters under all the legs, so it's a good height for me.

If you have an IKEA anywhere near by, they have tables with legs that adjust up or down. You can also order from them.

kjym 06-05-2011 02:08 PM

Where did you husband find this table??????????? is it adrafting table and to raise or lower turn the crank at the end? Very neat.
kjym Kathy

smurfsmom 06-05-2011 02:19 PM

I have a chest freezer which holds my large cutting mat very nicely and is a great height for me. Just need to improve the lighting in that area

ann clare 06-05-2011 02:21 PM

I use my ironing board. Can adjust if I want to sit.

bookfare 06-05-2011 02:22 PM

I'm 4'10", so dining table works perfectly. Have a cutting table, but use it for pin basting and tying (which I sometimes do on jeans quilts, charity quilts, etc.). Too high to get leverage for cutting, but got it at yard sale and like it as it takes so little room, moves easily and handy for lots of jobs.

QuiltnLady1 06-05-2011 02:28 PM

At church we have the Costco folding tables and we upend old coffee cans and put them under the legs to raise them up. I cut on one of 3 places, the kitchen bar, my dining room table (with an extra large mat) or on the back of the old desk that my sewing machine sits on down in the sewing room. I am short and the desk is a bit low but I try to do most of the cutting up on the kitchen bar (it holds a 24x36 mat).

Margie13 06-05-2011 02:38 PM

I bought this table from Joann's. I love it. Right size. And you can close it down. Also bought the cutting board to fit on it. All kept in my sewing room. I can spend the whole day here. LOL

Elizabeth-Liz 06-05-2011 02:41 PM

I bought a two folding 4' table at Sam's that has three different levels when at the highest it stands at 36" high and it gives me two other levels to still use when I need them. I have one set up at the highest level all the time in my sewing room. I really like it, cause if I do not feel like standing I can lower it low enough to set and cut and it folds up and store in a small place.

Maybe1day 06-05-2011 03:05 PM

I have a trestle table for cutting on. My DH strengthened underneath the table so it would take more weight (some trestle tables are so weak as to be next to useless if leaned on) and added leg extensions.
Eventually when I move into my actual sewing room I intend on buying a kitchen island bench. More aesthetically appealing as in will suit my decor and will not take up as much room as my trestle table does now.

barney 06-05-2011 03:12 PM

I rarely have back pain but struggle with arm,neck elbow ,wrist and hand pain on my left side from I assume from pressing on ruler as i am right handed. My cutting side never hurts. I use my kitchen island so I think the height is ok...just do not know what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?