Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you cut fabric on?

I have a bad back and cutting fabric on my dining room table kills me. Has anyone used those cutting tables from JoAnn's? I was thinking about getting one but wanted to see what you all had to say first. Thanks for any input!

Blog Entries
    Try cutting on your kitchen counter. I found the taller cutting surface was much easier.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a 4 ft. table at Staples office supply (on sale). My husband made PVC pipe legs and it is at the exact height I need to stand and cut; NO BENDING. It works perfect and I could cut for a long time and have no back pain at all. I can take a pic if you are interested; PM me with your email.

I use my island bar.. if I'm cutting a lot..a quilting friend has one of those tables and she loves it..loves the fact 2 sides drop down and she can push it up against a wall.. when not in use!

Okay, so I'm kinda cheap and wanted a quick fix because of my degenerative disc problem. I have one of those blow mold tables from Lowes ($20 I think). It wasn't high enough for cutting, so I stuck some of that PVC pipe with those end thingys that close it off (don't you just love my terminology? lol!). It did the trick, making the table high enough for cutting without making it awkward. Much cheaper than an actual cutting table!

Murphy - we're totally on the same wavelength!

Quote Originally Posted by MelodyWB
    I use my island bar.. if I'm cutting a lot..a quilting friend has one of those tables and she loves it..loves the fact 2 sides drop down and she can push it up against a wall.. when not in use!
    that's what I like about it also. I sew upstairs in a spare bedroom and I'm always running up and down the stairs to cut something. I figured the table would fit in the bedroom well. I just don't know how sturdy they are.

Quote Originally Posted by skippitydodahquilts
    Okay, so I'm kinda cheap and wanted a quick fix because of my degenerative disc problem. I have one of those blow mold tables from Lowes ($20 I think). It wasn't high enough for cutting, so I stuck some of that PVC pipe with those end thingys that close it off (don't you just love my terminology? lol!). It did the trick, making the table high enough for cutting without making it awkward. Much cheaper than an actual cutting table!
    I don't know what a blow mold table is, I'll have to look it up and look for those PVC 'thing-a-ma-jigs' :lol:

Hi,

I was very lucky on Mothering Sunday this year.... DD and DH bought me this!

It is a dream!!!!! It goes up by millimetres so you can adjust it to exactly where you want it, when you want it. The cutting mat is huge and I love it!

When not is use... it pivots upright so takes up very little space.

Hugs

With cutting mat
    Name:  Attachment-206567.jpe
Views: 66
Size:  1.3 KB

Upright
    Name:  Attachment-206568.jpe
Views: 70
Size:  1.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I use the top of my washing machine. It seems to be a good height for me.

Blog Entries
    I use to put bed risers under my table legs to raise my cutting table. I bought a adjustable table at Sam's Club and it's perfect for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    Hi,

I was very lucky on Mothering Sunday this year.... DD and DH bought me this!

It is a dream!!!!! It goes up by millimetres so you can adjust it to exactly where you want it, when you want it. The cutting mat is huge and I love it!

When not is use... it pivots upright so takes up very little space.

Hugs
    What is the brand name of your table? It's great!

I got one of the cutting tables from Joannes. It is a much better height for my back, but still a bit low. I am 5'8" so if you are taller it would also seem a bit low. If shorter, the height will be fine.
    My main complaint about the table is that it is too wobbly. It wiggles too much. I still use it but I would truly prefer something more solid and a a couple inches taller.

I think the one I have is like what they have at Joanne's. It is great for me--I have a bad back, too. I'm 5'1" and the height is perfect but it's also perfect for my daughter who is 5'5", so she got one for herself. The leaves fold down, and it doesnt't take much space when not in use. I love the fact that it has casters and you can roll it around wherever you want to.

I have a very tall work bench that I borrowed (stole) from my husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady
    I got one of the cutting tables from Joannes. It is a much better height for my back, but still a bit low. I am 5'8" so if you are taller it would also seem a bit low. If shorter, the height will be fine.
    My main complaint about the table is that it is too wobbly. It wiggles too much. I still use it but I would truly prefer something more solid and a a couple inches taller.
    Thanks Bluelady. That's what I wanted to know. I was afraid it would be wobbly and they are not that cheap and didn't want to buy it and not like it

CarolinePaj - I like that table, what is the name of it?

I use an old drafting table - adjustable height - and wide - but it doesn't fold down at all

I usually use the kitchen island. It's the right height for me and big enough for my large 36" cutting mat to just fit with a little room left over.

I'm not sure if I'll change that when I move upstairs to my new room. One thing I am doing up there is covering an old, heavy metal and wood table with an old blanket then a sheet and using it as a new ironing board. No more struggling with my ironing board when it comes to bigger pieces. I may see if there is some way that I can put a board on top of it in order to use it as a cutting surface also. Still working on exactly how the room will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcatlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady
    Thanks Bluelady. That's what I wanted to know. I was afraid it would be wobbly and they are not that cheap and didn't want to buy it and not like it
    CarolinePaj - I like that table, what is the name of it?

Hi Guys,

The table is the Horn Hi Lo Table and is as sturdy as a house of bricks. DD sits on it and it doesn't even quiver. I also forgot to say that the table is on casters so you can move it about at will. Great for when you need it to suppliment other tables in the house and it can be adjusted to their exact size!

All in all I think it is a wonderful investment!

Hugs

When we got rid of the water bed I saved the drawers that were under it. Stacked them up and built a counter top to sit on top. Great storage and good height for cutting.

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    I use a "pub" table that I found in the dent/scratch area of Big Lots. It is very sturdy. It had a small splinter in the top, which I glued back down and then I added a piece of glass to the top, with my cutting matt on top of the glass. I got the glass at the local windshield repair shop. Very reasonable for everything.

If you want to save some $$, be sure to look outside of normal quilting tables. If it says quilting on it, it might be more expensive! LOL

I have my cutting mat on my Big Board on my ironing board. The ironing board is adjustable so I can get the perfect height for cutting.

I got a drop-leaf cherry dining table at a flea market for maybe $75? I love it.

At church we put the bed risers under the table legs and they are wonderful. Got them at Wal-mart very reasonably. Years ago my husband built me a huge cutting table that has storage underneath it. It's 36 inches across and 7 feet long. It was never the best for cutting clothing in some ways, but it's the greatest for cutting blocks etc. for quilts. I guess I was always supposed to be a quilter!LOL

Dining room table, but it would be better if it was taller. I have had custom built cutting tables made before, to my height specs, but with several moves they had to be left behind. Too heavy.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast