Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you cut fabric on? >

What do you cut fabric on?

What do you cut fabric on?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 AM

I use a "pub" table that I found in the dent/scratch area of Big Lots. It is very sturdy. It had a small splinter in the top, which I glued back down and then I added a piece of glass to the top, with my cutting matt on top of the glass. I got the glass at the local windshield repair shop. Very reasonable for everything.

If you want to save some $$, be sure to look outside of normal quilting tables. If it says quilting on it, it might be more expensive! LOL
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 AM

I have my cutting mat on my Big Board on my ironing board. The ironing board is adjustable so I can get the perfect height for cutting.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:23 AM

I got a drop-leaf cherry dining table at a flea market for maybe $75? I love it.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 AM

At church we put the bed risers under the table legs and they are wonderful. Got them at Wal-mart very reasonably. Years ago my husband built me a huge cutting table that has storage underneath it. It's 36 inches across and 7 feet long. It was never the best for cutting clothing in some ways, but it's the greatest for cutting blocks etc. for quilts. I guess I was always supposed to be a quilter!LOL
Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Dining room table, but it would be better if it was taller. I have had custom built cutting tables made before, to my height specs, but with several moves they had to be left behind. Too heavy.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM

I have the one from Joanns. It took me awhile to get use to it because I had been using the kitchen table it seemed too tall. I now cut on the kitchen island. Its about right for me. I'm 5'5" too.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM

I have cutting table from Joann's and I love it, but it wobbles a bit I too have a bad back and it's high enough that I'm not bending over the table. If you try one from Joann's keep your receipt in case it does not work for you. They will let you return or exchange it. Something used works, look at good will stores. measure where your hight is the most comfortable for you when cutting and bring a tape measure along. Good luck. Isn't this quilting board the best!! All the things we find out...
Shirley/Tn :thumbup:
Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jigs1354
Something used works, look at good will stores. measure where your hight is the most comfortable for you when cutting and bring a tape measure along.
Shirley/Tn :thumbup:

This is probably what I would do as well -- but look more for something that is a proper size that will work - and check out the legs to see how hard it would be to make it the right height --
Old 06-04-2011, 12:47 PM

I've had to return every cutting table I bought. I'm 5'9" and a half (almost 5'10") and they're all too short for me. I'm still hoping to replace my kitchen counters to a higher height so I can cut there.

I've found the things with adjustable legs are too wobbly. So I usually cut sitting down.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 PM

I was able to pick up an unused bathroom cabinet with 3 drawers and 2 'under sink'doors. John raised it on 2 x 4's and put wheels on the botton so i can re-arrange and clean the room more easily. It's great.

Someone I know used those large grapefruit juice cans to raise a small use dining table she bought for her quilt space. works well for her.

Is there a large variance in cutting table heights? CAn they be adjusted? Not sure. Best to look in them... do a google.com search perhaps starting with JoAnn?

Best of luck... I KNOW back pain inimately.
JUlie