Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you cut fabric on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-cut-fabric-t127989.html)

the casual quilter 06-04-2011 01:30 PM

I got a couple of shop work tables from Home Depot. They are about 2' by 5' and they are waist high. I lined them up with the long sides together and put a rigid top over the two. Then I got a huge cutting mat to cover most of it. It isn't the prettiest, but it works well for me and saves my back. Very inexpensive, too.

nursie76 06-04-2011 01:38 PM

I have one that DH found in the damaged section at JoAnn's. I piece of the edge molding had come lose in 2 areas. He glued them back in place and it is like new! Just the right height and I can fold it up and put it against the wall behind a chair when not in use. I think they sell for over $100, but got it for about $25. There is a 50% off coupon in the Joanns flyer that starts tomorrow. If they aren't on sale, you could use that.

oldcatlady 06-04-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to start looking around and will certainly think 'outside the box' on this one :)

katyquilter 06-04-2011 01:50 PM

I have a cutting table from Joanns. I've had it for many, many years and love it. It's the perfect height and folds to about 12" but expands to over 60". It's great.

StitchinJoy 06-04-2011 01:52 PM

Dining room table. And I sit while I cut most of the time.

gzuslivz 06-04-2011 01:58 PM

I have one of the JoAnn's cutting tables. I am 5'10" , so it's a little bit low for cutting for a long time. But for most work, it's great. I don't find that mine wobbles. I got mine on a great sale with a coupon, so I'm pretty happy.

shortfidler 06-04-2011 02:35 PM

I love it. Where did they find it? I mean the table w/mat that tilts up.

susanwilley 06-04-2011 02:36 PM

I have a table from Joannes, got for the same reason and I am not sorry!! I love it, it is just the right height for cutting. I also use for fold my fabric around fabric boards and for folding my laundry. It's great! I don't think you'd be sorry. You might consider getting bed risers. A lot of quilters use them to raise their table for cutting.

TonnieLoree 06-04-2011 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I purchased a 4 ft. table at Staples office supply (on sale). My husband made PVC pipe legs and it is at the exact height I need to stand and cut; NO BENDING. It works perfect and I could cut for a long time and have no back pain at all. I can take a pic if you are interested; PM me with your email.

Fantastic idea! I have 4' table that is way too short for cutting. Right now its sporting a jig saw puzzle. Did your Husband cut them to your height? My mom is a short elf and he built her kitchen cabinets to her waist measurements. Mom bakes bread. Need to please Mom. :-)

caliquocat 06-04-2011 02:53 PM

I use my kitchen counter & even that isn't totally comfortable for my back. (What's with quilting & back pain??)