Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with old rulers when they are replaced? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-old-rulers-when-they-replaced-t292274.html)

rryder 11-01-2017 05:23 AM

I’ve been quilting for a long time and have not yet replaced any of my standard sized OmniGrid rulers. Though as I get older I’d love something that’s a little easier to see through.... if I were to make the switch and my Omnigrids were still in good shape for quilting use I’d donate them.

Rob

Sewnoma 11-01-2017 06:02 AM

I'd been saving them "just in case", but now that I'm really trying to get rid of a lot of extra "stuff" in my life, I've pulled all of my spares and doubles and things I'm sure I'll never use into a big box and invited my quilty and crafty friends to come and take whatever they like. It was a surprisingly large box (wasn't all quilting stuff), but one of my scrapbooking/papercrafting friends who recently lost everything in the local fires claimed most of it, so that felt doubly good. Good to see all the extra stuff go away, and good to see it go to someone who would definitely get use out of it.

Anything my friends don't want, I will donate to a thrift shop in the next town over that specializes in reselling fabric and sewing supplies for the benefit of the local senior center. But there's very little left!

Anything damaged or not working I would have tossed right away - I'm somewhat of a hoarder, but always been pretty good at throwing truly useless things out. Bad tools are a pet peeve, I won't tolerate it!

Dolphyngyrl 11-01-2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw (Post 7935303)
You can give them to a quilter that is just starting out. I received a bagful from a friend who was downsizing when I was just in the early days of my quilting hobby. There were sizes and shapes I would not necessarily have bought for myself, but once exposed to them learned the benefits of them. I also got some bloc locs and half geese ruler that I would have NEVER known existed. It was a generous gift and it really helped me :-)

I really like this idea. i gave my omnigrid to me little daughter for future use

Madgie Rae 11-01-2017 11:13 AM

I didn't see that anyone mentioned the Slide-Lock rulers. Just looking at them I thought they would be grand! Anyone know of them or how those that have them like them?

Mariposa 11-01-2017 11:28 AM

I keep my old rulers. Hubby will then have some to use on his misc. projects. :)

melindac 11-01-2017 01:00 PM

I love the idea of gifting to a new quilter, passing the baton to a future generation ;)

I recently discovered a delightful use for old quilting rulers on Pinterest that you can use as sewing room art ;)
here is the direct link. I just love this idea!! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9218374220551271/

IAmCatOwned 11-01-2017 08:32 PM

I've only removed a couple of rulers from my collection because I didn't use them and my sister took them and uses them in her sewing (she doesn't quilt). When I replace a ruler, it's because it is damaged.

HettyB 11-02-2017 01:07 AM

Recently we used one of my old long rulers as a guide when cutting wallpaper, could see the pattern underneath (also old rotary cutter worked a treat too). When clamping a quilt or fabric down on the worktable, I put the ruler between fabric and clamp. The old ruler gives a greater area of grip and I can still see if my lines etc are straight.

Hettyb

SusieQOH 11-02-2017 05:56 AM

melindac- that's adorable!!!

Sewnoma 11-02-2017 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by melindac (Post 7936017)
I recently discovered a delightful use for old quilting rulers on Pinterest that you can use as sewing room art ;)

Cute! That'd be a great use for rulers that are worn out or otherwise not appropriate for passing on to someone else - keeps them out of the landfill! Also a cute gift idea for a quilty friend!