Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-t282693.html)

gmcsewer 10-04-2016 12:44 PM

Along these lines, I have a new quilter who is just beginning to make quilts. She chose a star pattern with diamonds not over 2 inch pieces. She has each point put together but now when she is trying to make the star it doesn't match up. I looked at the points and she is not consistent with 1/4 inch seams. she made a comment she was tired of ripping. Should I take her under my wing and help her rip and sew so she will end up with quilt.

quiltingshorttimer 10-04-2016 07:14 PM

ok, a funny comment along these lines--I was helping out a friend with her high school FACS class this spring--we had about 1/2 the VERY new to sewing students making quiltings that they could either finish by tying or quilting on the DSM--one of the girls had cautioned me that she was a little "OCD" (although not really--just a perfectionist) and her piecing proved that true. When she got to the quilting she announced that "quilting sure has cured me of my OCD!". We all had to laugh--especially those of us that were quilters cause we have all be in that position that you have to say "Done is better than perfect".

thyme2quilt 10-04-2016 09:37 PM

Thank you all again for your suggestions and encouragement. This quilt is a "commission" from my husband. He found a fabric collection and when I found a pattern made with that same fabric, he said do it. The pattern is a line of half square triangles sewn diagonally through a square. I'm not sure which stage threw me off. But it snowballed. I know when I trimmed, I knew my points would be cut off.
My squares are in time out right now (thanks francie yuhas!) But I will finish the quilt. (I briefly thought about cutting it apart and making something new.)
Funny - many of the comments I have said to other people. Why, oh why are we so hard on ourselves. I had forgotten the quote - done is better than perfect. Thanks all for the gentle reminders:)

sewbizgirl 10-04-2016 09:58 PM

I agree it's good to step back and take a break when you are frustrated. Then later you can forge bravely on and get it figured out. Sometimes it's just a matter of taking in or letting out a few seams. Once it's done it will be wonderful and you can fall back in love with it again.

sewbizgirl 10-04-2016 09:59 PM

In order not to lose your points, consider taking in your seams a bit, rather than trimming the block on the outer edge. But... if you lose a few, you lose them. It's not the end of the world.

sewbizgirl 10-04-2016 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 (Post 7668441)
For me it's usually when I am cornered into making a quilt for some one who chose colors or different types of fabric that just don't play nice together. And I always try to be extra careful with my cuts when it's their fabric, because I have no idea where they purchased it. One lady brought me a pastel pink satiny and a bright safety orange printed duck cloth to make a baby quilt. When I tried to explain why these were not compatible she said just do the best you can with it. Well I put it back in the bag and handed it back to her and said this is the best thing I can do with these. Reasons 2&3 were I could not inflict a baby with those colors or the rough feeling of the duck.

Good way to handle it! Jeeze... what was she thinking?

slbram17 10-05-2016 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by thyme2quilt (Post 7667341)
When a quilt you've worked so hard on to be precise turns out to be anything but? I'm sewing my pieced blocks together and nothing is matching:( Will anyone notice? Probably not but I know it's not right. Feeling very frustrated tonight.

I always feel on every quilt that I have worked hard on it...and I know there are mistakes in each and every one. But after it is gifted, I forget about it and go on to next one. When I first started back making quilts, I had some issues with the seams. I would use applique to take care of that, but now I do a lot of double stitching and wash the quilt before gifting to make sure no surprises. But little issues I let go...by the time I have completed a quilt, I am so ready to move on to something else anyway.