Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do when you fall out of love with the material you picked? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-when-you-fall-out-love-material-you-picked-t78513.html)

KarenR 11-24-2010 02:25 PM

Hi - Being new to quilting last New Year's Day I did a mystery and wanted to make it King Size. I bought a really nice line of fabric called Once Upon a Christmas by Susan Winget for Benartex. At the time I loved the material.
Now it is almost a year later and I'm still not done with the quilt. I was wishing it had more brighter colors in it.
So what do I do?
Continue - finish it and like it or put it away?

cjomomma 11-24-2010 02:32 PM

Sometimes a quilts colors can surprise you after it has been quilted. You may fall back in love with it. Go ahead and finish it.

amma 11-24-2010 02:33 PM

I would put it away, along with all of the fabric, for a little while... sometimes we just get tired of the project... not necessarily the quilt itself :wink: then when you pick it up again, you will see why you fell in love with it the first time :D:D:D

quilting cat 11-24-2010 02:33 PM

Put it away for about ten years!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously, you're not likely to grow any fonder of it if you continue to work on it now. And we don't want you to lose interest in quilting, so . . .

erstan947 11-24-2010 02:34 PM

I would finish it and give it as a gift. I find often that a quilt will come alive when it is quilted and bound. Show us a photo maybe we can offer some suggestions to liven it up!:)

MZStitch 11-24-2010 02:34 PM

I so agree! A quilt all quilted really takes on a whole different life. Don't forget you can always spice it up by the thread you use to quilt it, or just by the way you do quilt it. Keep going!

deema 11-24-2010 02:47 PM

I recently made one that I fell out of love with in the piecing process. Once I finished it, I fell back in love with it. I call it "In and Out of Love" lol. Put it away for a while, finish it eventually, and if you still don't love it, somebody surely will :)

Do you have any pictures of it?

littlehud 11-24-2010 02:52 PM

Sometimes just taking a break from it helps. Do a fun smaller project and you may be ready to go back to this one.

plainpat 11-24-2010 02:57 PM

I have no help to offer. I hate working with fabric /colors I don't like. If I put something away, it's there for the duration.
How about finishing your quilt as a gift for someone?

craftyone27 11-24-2010 03:03 PM

Maybe take on a small project - a tablerunner or wallhanging. After you finish it - take a look at the old project and see how you feel about it. I have a WIP that I started afew years back as a queen size - got a new bed it's now a king size. I have all but a small piece done and then its just sewing blocks together. I just found that this small piece of the quilt was not as fun as I thought it would be. It involves dec stitches in the center of each block, and I don't have a top of the line embroidery machine so it was more work than I anticipated to get the look I wanted. I haven't touched the project for at least 6 months but am now looking forward to getting back to it once my holiday sewing is done.