Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you fall out of love with the material you picked?

Hi - Being new to quilting last New Year's Day I did a mystery and wanted to make it King Size. I bought a really nice line of fabric called Once Upon a Christmas by Susan Winget for Benartex. At the time I loved the material.
    Now it is almost a year later and I'm still not done with the quilt. I was wishing it had more brighter colors in it.
    So what do I do?
    Continue - finish it and like it or put it away?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes a quilts colors can surprise you after it has been quilted. You may fall back in love with it. Go ahead and finish it.

Blog Entries
    I would put it away, along with all of the fabric, for a little while... sometimes we just get tired of the project... not necessarily the quilt itself :wink: then when you pick it up again, you will see why you fell in love with it the first time :D:D:D

Put it away for about ten years!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Seriously, you're not likely to grow any fonder of it if you continue to work on it now. And we don't want you to lose interest in quilting, so . . .

Blog Entries
    I would finish it and give it as a gift. I find often that a quilt will come alive when it is quilted and bound. Show us a photo maybe we can offer some suggestions to liven it up!:)

I so agree! A quilt all quilted really takes on a whole different life. Don't forget you can always spice it up by the thread you use to quilt it, or just by the way you do quilt it. Keep going!

I recently made one that I fell out of love with in the piecing process. Once I finished it, I fell back in love with it. I call it "In and Out of Love" lol. Put it away for a while, finish it eventually, and if you still don't love it, somebody surely will :)

Do you have any pictures of it?

Sometimes just taking a break from it helps. Do a fun smaller project and you may be ready to go back to this one.

Blog Entries
    I have no help to offer. I hate working with fabric /colors I don't like. If I put something away, it's there for the duration.
    How about finishing your quilt as a gift for someone?

Blog Entries
    Maybe take on a small project - a tablerunner or wallhanging. After you finish it - take a look at the old project and see how you feel about it. I have a WIP that I started afew years back as a queen size - got a new bed it's now a king size. I have all but a small piece done and then its just sewing blocks together. I just found that this small piece of the quilt was not as fun as I thought it would be. It involves dec stitches in the center of each block, and I don't have a top of the line embroidery machine so it was more work than I anticipated to get the look I wanted. I haven't touched the project for at least 6 months but am now looking forward to getting back to it once my holiday sewing is done.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Finish it and if you still don't love it, gift it!

I know what you mean ... I bought a bunch of fabrics for my bedroom dresser runners... started it and now I can't stand to even look at them so I'm scrapping it and starting over..

If you don't like it for yourself and you don't mind making a quilt for someone else, use it. If you don't plan on giving someone a quilt in the next year or so, set it aside and use it for backing or for accent material for other projects. It might be just perfect for something else ;)

I would finish it and see if you like it any better.

Blog Entries
    I can totally relate right now. I love the individual fabrics for a quilt I am making, but I really do not like them together. I am working on it, but I work on what I want to work on in between. I do some on the ugly quilt and then some on somethings esle, etc...
    If I had the option I would chuck it in the trash, but because of money that is not an option for me.

I think this is where UFOs come from!!

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    I have no help to offer. I hate working with fabric /colors I don't like. If I put something away, it's there for the duration.
    How about finishing your quilt as a gift for someone?
    Or donate it to a charity for an auction.

i know what you mean - that happened w/ a quilt i was quilting. The quilting was too complicated and it wasn't fun to quilt. After eight years, i finally just changed the quilting pattern and finished it....

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Or….. Dahlin’ you could just send it on to me! ;)

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Oh I love that line of fabric.

I'd probably just finish it up (the top at least) and donate it to a charity or something.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    if you don't like it, you didn't cut it into small enough pieces....LOL i have soooooo been there!

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Sometimes a quilts colors can surprise you after it has been quilted. You may fall back in love with it. Go ahead and finish it.

Try to finish it-if you absolutely cannot finsh it, pass it on to someone else. Then you won't have it hanging around making you regret you chose it.

I would stick with it....unfinished things have a way of niggling at you. As the others have said, once it is quilted and bound, you may think differently. Perhaps step outside the box a bit when you quilt it....that way it will hold your interest and will take on a different look. If when done, you still feel the same way, you could gift or sell it. Either way it will be "done and dusted".

Blog Entries
    Give it to secret pals, make pin cushions, give it to someone that would love to have material

I guess I agree with most of you. I bought a line of fabric and then couldn't see it made up. I saw it used in a ad and now I have it almost done and I love it! Keep going or even add another fabric that is brighter if you can. maybe a contrast border? I've had this happen so many times I can't begin to count but they all came out great in the end.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast