Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what do you do with your old quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-your-old-quilts-t233525.html)

Lori S 10-31-2013 03:23 PM

I put mine up for family auction. Post photos , those interested can claim the quilt.

patchsamkim 10-31-2013 04:15 PM

If you have a spare bedroom, you could have quilts on a bed, one layered on top of another...and if anyone wants to see your quilts, you could have a "bed-turning" and show them off by peeling back each layer.

raspberryparade09 10-31-2013 04:40 PM

I saw a great idea - make old, well loved quilts into stuffed animals. You can pass them down to children and grandchildren, and they will still be loved.

Tiggersmom 10-31-2013 05:34 PM

I agree with Jackie. If you can't stack them out of the sunlight put them to use as decorations. I've never thought of rolling them and putting them in baskets, but that is on my to-do list! BTW: I've read that the special boxes loose their protection power [archival storage] after a certain time.........not sure how long they are good for, but I'm sure someone here knows. :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 6375873)
Display them. Nothing makes a home more cozy, especially in the winter, than quilts. Back of the couch, across a chair, folded and stacked on a shelf, hanging on a quilt rack free standing or hanging on the wall. Take smaller quilts, roll them and display in a large basket. They should be enjoyed.

Sandi 10-31-2013 08:01 PM

O think you should display them.. Either the ladder idea or on the wall away from the sun. A friend of mine did that in her living room

BETTY62 10-31-2013 08:34 PM

Most of the quilts I make are given as gifts to family members or friends that I feel will love them and use them as much as I do. The few that I do keep are used when someone visits and wants to cover up or snuggle with one. I am not saving any for future generations as I am giving them to the present generation so I can see them used and enjoyed.

In the last few years, we have disbanded my Mother's and my Mother-in-law's homes. Both had way to many things they were saving for that special day and/or person, however, there were no labels or list to say who should receive them and no information to tell us who made the item or the history of several quilts, antique pieces of jewelry and furnitue. So, if you are going to save things for the next generation, please make a list of the items, state the person you want to receive it and provide a brief history of it. Otherwise, it may go to the wrong person, be put into a garage sale or donated to a local charity. Or, if it's something you do not use any longer and you just have it tucked away, get it out and gift it to the person now so you can see them enjoy it.

BETTY62 10-31-2013 08:44 PM

Donna, I do like your idea. Thanks for sharing.

pelikanbus62 11-02-2013 07:05 AM

I agree with Jackie, dispaly your quilts they are to beautiful to put in a closet. Drap over the end of a bed, over a chair. Good luck

Shorebird 11-04-2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw (Post 6376227)
Here is what I do: I roll my quilt width wise and then make a long tube fabric bag that has enough extra fabric so the quilt can easily slip into the bag. I make a casing for the top and make fabric strips for tying the bag closed. I put these bags with the quilts on the top of a bunk bed. They are then placed on top of the bed flat with the end that is open to a side that I can look and see what quilt is in the bag. My goal is to make tags with the name of the quilt so I won't even have to look in the bag to see what quilt it is. I've used Christmas fabric to make bags for my Christmas quilts to help with wondering what is in this bag? If you like this idea I would really like to know! So far I don't think anyone else does this.

Really NEAT IDEA......