Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with your old quilts >

what do you do with your old quilts

what do you do with your old quilts

Old 10-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Default what do you do with your old quilts

I have a few old quilts that I don't want to use on beds.
they aren't antiques yet but I want to keep them in, as good as I can condition.
What do I do with them? What do you do with yours.
I don't really have any place to display them. but I don't want to keep them in a "box"
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I keep mine in pillow cases with zippers on them.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 AM

I have few clothes, so half of one closet has 3 homebuilt shelves. I store currently unused quilts on those shelves. They get refolded at least once every three months that way. I know a lot of people make pillowcases to store unused quilts in, but I struggle so hard to get them in that I decided not to bother. I store my sewing machine rolling cart underneath.

I don't have the space to keep 'unused' quilts and I'm not saving stuff for 'future generations' since fabric ages into unsuitability either by taste or deterioration. I am now giving quilts that I no longer love as gifts to those who appreciate such things. This is not to say that YOU shouldn't keep older quilts to pass on to younger generation. I'm just saying, don't keep what you don't love. Most of us have way too much clutter.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 AM

I keep using mine. They're all on beds, if not as a bedspread, then folded at the bottom of a bed. I repair them as needed -- resewing seams that came undone, replacing fabric in blocks that frayed, and replacing binding as needed. My early quilts were scraps from clothing, most with some polyester content. And some from my gauze phase.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM

What about a nice display case
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM

I do keep mine in a box, it's a special acid free cardboard container. I can't use all of my quilts at one time and after using on beds and displaying many I still have more to store. Theses boxes are great for that purpose, they are stored in my clothes closet where I can get at the quilts and refold or get them out for use.

These boxes are made for the purpose of storing fabrics, quilts, clothing and such.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Display them. Nothing makes a home more cozy, especially in the winter, than quilts. Back of the couch, across a chair, folded and stacked on a shelf, hanging on a quilt rack free standing or hanging on the wall. Take smaller quilts, roll them and display in a large basket. They should be enjoyed.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:37 PM

This tip applies to anyone with a shortage of storage space for out-of-season bedding: fold blankets, etc. to lay between your box springs and mattress. Might not want to do this with "heirloom" quality quilts but it does free up a lot of shelf space.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 PM

I was just going to post this - my dear MIL used to do this - when she passed away, we found lots of very old quilts between the box springs and mattress in her spare bedroom - they were spread out flat. Nowdays, the beds are so tall that you might not want to do that - I am short and have a hard time getting up into some of the beds.

Originally Posted by heronlady View Post
This tip applies to anyone with a shortage of storage space for out-of-season bedding: fold blankets, etc. to lay between your box springs and mattress. Might not want to do this with "heirloom" quality quilts but it does free up a lot of shelf space.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Here is what I do: I roll my quilt width wise and then make a long tube fabric bag that has enough extra fabric so the quilt can easily slip into the bag. I make a casing for the top and make fabric strips for tying the bag closed. I put these bags with the quilts on the top of a bunk bed. They are then placed on top of the bed flat with the end that is open to a side that I can look and see what quilt is in the bag. My goal is to make tags with the name of the quilt so I won't even have to look in the bag to see what quilt it is. I've used Christmas fabric to make bags for my Christmas quilts to help with wondering what is in this bag? If you like this idea I would really like to know! So far I don't think anyone else does this.

Last edited by DonnaPBradshaw; 10-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.