Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you keep by your sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-keep-your-sewing-machine-t26905.html)

Deecee 10-12-2009 12:06 AM

I keep a satay stick stuck with bluetack to the top of my machine. Wonderful instrument for pulling up loops of bobbin cotton, pushing bulky seams under needle or just being skinny enough to guide fabric right up to the needle without sewing finger. I also have a pair of tweezers for grabbing that piece of cotton that my fingers never seem to be able to catch.

woody 10-12-2009 12:58 AM

I made this neat little thread catcher pin cushion and it is just so handy for scissors, seam ripper, new needles etc etc. I'm noy very good at this but I hope this link works.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/medi...nOrganizer.pdf

tlrnhi 10-12-2009 01:24 AM

I have thread, pins, pencil, pen, some paper, all taking up the space next to my machine. I should have a holder or something for all of it, but it just sits there lazily.

STAR 10-12-2009 03:28 AM

I have an old table with the machine inside but it is closed up it has drawers so the top one has all my thread, bobbins, small scissors, seam ripper, and some pins. On top of the table I have a pin cushion my glass of whatever I am drinking(usually pop). and the best thing up there, besides my new machine, is a picture of DH and me! I wanted to frame it for my room but haven't yet. I think I like it laying there so that I can look at it. I just love him so much and he is the one that says," the money is in the bank so buy it!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BellaBoo 10-12-2009 08:53 AM

I have an Ott desk lamp and a thread stand, a small basket with seam ripper, awl, snips, small screwdriver, thread lubricant, and Hershey's Kisses.

Lostn51 10-12-2009 09:24 AM

Depending on if I am in my shop or on one of the many machines I have strewn through my home. But every machine has extra bobbins, needles, scissors, threader, what ever accessories that were offered for that model and year, and the owners manual for integrity shoveled in the drawers.

In my shop I have it set up like a quilters man cave!! Flat screen, surround sound, love seat for the guest, magazine rack and a wall unit that I built with an array of machines that I can use in my central bench. My quilting table is 36"x 140" with a Singer treadle mounted under it and the cutting table is 32" x 66".

I have a cabinet on one end of the quilting bench with all sorts of must haves for sewing, along with manuals and accessories for the machines I have earmarked for use and I have a 2 drawer filing cabinet under the other end so I can store my patterns and other future projects.

I am adding on another 2000sqft so I will have a place to put all of my sewing memorabilia and vintage sewing machines that do not get used. eventually my shop will look like an old Singer sewing store with the downstairs for my collection and the upstairs for the game/media room. I even have a couple of backlit signs that came off of a Singer store front in the 30's that will be mounted to the front of my shop.

Billy

patty48 10-12-2009 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I use lots of little things while sewing and like to keep them handy. I found a flatware caddy at Target awhile back and turned it into a Sew Tote! It works well for me. I put some foamular in the bottoms of some of the areas to elevate them, and then some crafter's foam rubber to protect the tips of the scissors.

I've got multiple scissors, rotary cutters, and even two spray bottles in there, and MOST important, the Seam Rippers! I also made the little pin cushion which buttons onto the end.

I love that idea.....can I copy???? I don't have a Target up here, but I'm sure I can find something like it somewhere.....

kat112000 10-13-2009 06:19 AM

A mess!!! I am so not organized! I am always looking for the seam ripper, pin cushion ect.!! Some great ideas on here though! I might have to use some of these tips!!!

quilter41 10-13-2009 06:47 AM

First and foremost is my stiletto. After that small pointed scissors, pincushion, 1/4" foot, are on the right and hanging to the left is my scrapbag. Near by is a small tray with some ther feet, bobins, etc. All very handy so I can get to them easily. :wink:

Ducky 10-13-2009 07:14 AM

Well, let's see. I keep my beloved seam ripper, snip scissors, pin cushion, magnetic seam guide, tweezers and a pair of glasses. Sometimes I think I should keep a hammer nearby for those days that the sewing just isn't going as planned. :lol: :wink: