Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you like about binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-like-about-binding-t198418.html)

pinkcastle 08-23-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 5461321)
My favorite thing about binding is watching old movies. I line up a few in Netflix, set up a comfy corner on the couch, with my needles, thread, scissors, and a glass of wine on the end table, and go to town. I have a sip of wine every time I start a new thread. I have a grand ol' time binding. *hic*.

DebraK, I like your method of binding - especially the glass of wine part! I actually don't mind the binding process, but your way will make it much more enjoyable!

ArtsyOne 08-23-2012 10:03 AM

I love the entire process of binding, from cutting the bias strips to sewing them all diagonally together (sometimes unsewing them too) and then folding the loooong strip in half and ironing it. I look at the bias edging as a frame around the picture I've made. Once I've sewed it to the front of the quilt I pile myself onto my bed with the quilt in my lap, a spool of thread and my favorite sewing needle and hand-sew the binding - usually while watching the Law & Order Criminal Intent marathons on Saturday mornings.

Tashana 08-23-2012 11:08 AM

Binding is a necessary evil for me. Something I have to go through in order to finish the quilt. I keep trying to do it the easy way (which does not exist) and therefore with every quilt I find new and exciting ways to torture myself with binding, mitered corners, etc, etc....

alisonquilts 08-23-2012 11:20 AM

I'm with the "enjoy the hand work in front of the TV" crowd. My handsewing slows waaay down when I watch TV, but it's a nice way to spend time with my family and still get some sewing in. Besides, neither handsewing nor TV watching is enough of an activity by itself - I get fidgetty! I'll also sit down with handsewing and listen to the radio or a book on tape...especially on a rainy day...oh! now I want a finished quilt to bind!!

Alison

Knitette 08-23-2012 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5462280)
Binding is a necessary evil for me. Something I have to go through in order to finish the quilt. I keep trying to do it the easy way (which does not exist) and therefore with every quilt I find new and exciting ways to torture myself with binding, mitered corners, etc, etc....

I'm with you - it's a necessary evil! :hunf: HATE, HATE, HAAAATE hand sewing the binding to the back. Only do it because I can't bring myself to machine it on.

MadQuilter 08-23-2012 11:57 AM

I recently started using the double-mitered binding method (posted a tutorial) and it makes binding so much cleaner for me. I don't have to deal with yards and yards of binding - only the length (plus a little) per side. I only sew one side on at a time. It is relatively easy to sew the mitered cap into the corners and once the miter covers the corner, sewing the binding on the back is a breeze.

Kids quilts I even sew on the back with the same method and then I sew the binding by machine using a decorative stitch.

burchquilts 08-23-2012 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by phranny (Post 5461304)
I agree with katei, the hand sewing is soooo relaxing. I like to save it for the evenings when my hubby is home, to work on it while watching the news or whatever. I like pulling the pins and seeing how much progress I have made, I know, kinda silly. Use a pretty piece of fabric to bind, then seeing that narrow strip of lovely fabric all neatly stitched and tacked down, just finishes it off so nicely.

That's exactly how I feel! I just finished hand sewing the binding on a quilt last night & was so sad (tho super glad that that particular quilt was DONE). I love making my binding strips, I like sewing them on the front, I love basting the binding down & I love hand sewing it. It's so mindless & soothing. I especially like to do it while I watch football or hockey.

cmrenno 08-23-2012 12:10 PM

I like binding. I sew mine to the back of the quilt and then I machine sew it to the front with a pretty stitch from my sewing machine.
I love to try new things such as Faux Piping Binding. Here's a great tutorial http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html. And I also like two color binding and here's a great site for that http://scrapsbystephanie.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

Enjoy the process. It really is fun!

SouthPStitches 08-23-2012 12:23 PM

I hate binding. I force myself to make the binding before the last of the top is pieced, that way not trying to locate the fabric at a later time. Several years ago, started to sew the binding on with a walking foot and it made an enormous difference.

I enjoy the hand sewing and the feeling of knowing the quilt is now complete. Have even been known to do the hand sewing on friends' bindings because I enjoy it and have the time.

Neesie 08-23-2012 12:25 PM

I enjoy binding, as strange as that sounds. I also enjoy piecing. It's the sandwiching and quilting, I could do without.