Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you like about binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-like-about-binding-t198418.html)

Annaquilts 08-24-2012 04:57 AM

You won't like this but what I like about binding is beeing done.

gigi712 08-24-2012 05:25 AM

What do I like about binding? When it's DONE! lol

FURBALLS 08-24-2012 05:29 AM

I like to do the binding, it goes pretty fast and it is much more relaxing for me. I don't have to worry about seams matching etc. Plus you can do it anywhere.

DJinSC 08-24-2012 05:41 AM

Like several have said, I enjoy binding because I know it's the last step and my quilt will be finished, so I'm eager to get started. I also enjoy the hand stitching. It's very theraputic and since I don't do much hand quilting, except for an occasional embroidery project binding is the only handwork I have. I've never tried the glass of wine with it -- now that's an idea!

jcrow 08-24-2012 05:46 AM

[QUOTE=MadQuilter;5462401]I recently started using the double-mitered binding method (posted a tutorial) and it makes binding so much cleaner for me. I don't have to deal with yards and yards of binding - only the length (plus a little) per side. I only sew one side on at a time. It is relatively easy to sew the mitered cap into the corners and once the miter covers the corner, sewing the binding on the back is a breeze.
Now this sounds interesting. So, should I put in the search engine "double-mitered binding method" and the tutorial will pop up? It sounds like something up my alley!!!

Mona Marie 08-24-2012 05:51 AM

I like to get done. Worst part of the quilt for me to do. BUT when it is done, Yea, on to next projects

Tudey 08-24-2012 06:00 AM

Binding is the only real handwork that I do and I enjoy it because I can sit in front of the TV and relax while I do it.

maviskw 08-24-2012 06:13 AM

I LOVE putting the binding on. It's the finishing touch. And I have come to REALLY LOVE putting the ends together. First I press a triangle at the beginning. Starch this and maybe pin it, too. I start sewing it on leaving a loose tail 8 - 10 inches. After you have a few inches sewn, put a pin in the quilt 8 - 10 inches beyond the beginning of the binding. That would be 16 - 20 inches from the place you started sewing. That is where you will stop when you get around the quilt. Then I pin down the binding exactly as I want it when it is sewn. I usually stretch a binding just a little. That prevents the edge of the quilt from becoming wavy. Then lay the ends one over the other, with pressed triangle on the bottom. Cut the other end EXACTLY at the bottom of the triangle. You will have the two layers overlapped exactly as far as the binding is wide. Take out all the pins, open the triangle and open out binding. Place ends right sides together, and twist so that the binding pieces are at right angles. Sew across the ends on that fold you pressed in at the beginning. If the fold is going from top to bottom, just twist it the other way. The seam has to go from side to side. Now snap open the binding to see if it fits. Then open that last seam and finger press. (It's kind of hard to press with the iron here unless you have one of those little things.) Then cut off the triangles of the seam allowance and continue sewing down the last bit of binding to your quilt. You will never be able to tell which binding seam is your last one this way. I find it very exciting to see how nicely this finishes up my quilt. HAPPY BINDING!

ShirlinAZ 08-24-2012 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by katei (Post 5461221)
I love the binding stage 'cos it means the quilt is finished. I find sewing on binding really relaxing (especially when accompanied by a glass of red! I always add the binding to the front of the quilt by machine and then relax and hand sew to the back. Go for it and when you see all your lovely finished quilts, you'll be hooked.

Me too! Also, it gives me something constructive to do when DH wants me to keep him company in front of the TV. He gets my attention and I still get to sew.

carolynjo 08-24-2012 06:23 AM

Just like we ice a favorite cake or put on our wonderful, flattering makeup before we start out the door, the binding finishes the quilt. I like it, because, as others have said, it is the finishing touch before we move on to another lovely quilt.