Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you love about your quilt guild/group? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-love-about-your-quilt-guild-group-t92719.html)

madamekelly 01-24-2011 09:02 AM

For your first meeting, try having everyone write a short note on what they want out of the guild, and build from there. You could then make it what you all want it to be.

A quick, 'get to know you' game.- Take a couple spools of cheap thread, tell everyone to take as much as they want of it. Take a length for yourself, pass it around. Chat quietly while this is accomplished. When everyone has their thread, hold yours up, and explain that while they wind it around one finger, (demonstrate) they must talk about themselves, what they like, what they do, about the family, etc, until they run out of thread. Great fun, and you learn about each other. Really fun when someone takes enough thread to thread a needle or more...

mayday 01-24-2011 11:08 AM

We are a group of 10--14 ,small is beautiful. everyone knows each other and we get along so very well, all help is given gladly and things lent with goodwill.
Did go to a group years ago and felt very alone, the women were so grumpy and grudgingly gave any help, needless to say I didn't stay.

thank god for our group and the lovely people in it.

SitzSewing 01-26-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I love my Stitchin' Sisters! They are a diverse group and always have something interesting going on. It is a small group and each and every one has become a dear friend.

We all share different projects and have a variety of skills and passions.

I will hopefully be there in Feb.

Annya 01-27-2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I'm founding a branch of the Modern Quilt Guild in my town and our first meeting is coming up...

I'm curious... what do you really like about your quilt guild or group? I would love to see what you guys think...

I'm also curious about quilt guild games that you play. I want this guild to be a fun thing to do so I would love some input :)

I am a member of 60+ people in my quilt group. We enjoy meeting every Wednesday morning. We share ideas, helpful hints and showing others how to do new ideas and the friendship you get is worth it's weight in gold any day.

Pzazz 01-27-2011 06:12 PM

I get together once a month with 4 to 5 gals. Nothing formal, just some friends quilting together and enjoying a retreat day...lots of laughter and learning and sewing. Since we have some snowbirds, and a college student, we can sometimes have as many as 7-9, depending on the time of year. We all work on our own projects, but if anyone wants/needs help, we are all very willing and ready with help or suggestions...whatever is asked for.

And then there is this wonderful group of people right here!!!! We have everything here....knowledge, talent, show and tell, teaching, sharing, fun and laughter, and so much more. What more does a person need?!?!!?

Patti

grannyjan 02-03-2011 08:23 AM

no one is avery to young to quilt. your gain there lost

jdavis 02-03-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
we only have 5 left in our group. not a guild. We all left a guild because it seems majority of them were very catty and always talked about other peoples business. now we have a great group, talking about the old days, funny times sadtimes about ourselves. We also share a lot of things especially if someone is making a scrappy quilt and needs a particular color, we all dig in and make it happen.

Sounds like you have the perfect arrangement!