Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you love/What do you not love.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-love-what-do-you-not-love-t153754.html)

GlitzyMe 09-18-2011 05:52 AM

I really gave this some thought. Every stage of a project is enjoyable to me. Except cleaning the sewingroom. Now there's a business for someone to start....sewingroom cleaning. A gal who quilts would be the perfect person to look at a room, understand how you set it up and where things belong and dig in. Where can I hire her???

Rose Bagwell 09-18-2011 05:53 AM

I am the same as you, not so much that I dislike to square up, it's that sometimes, they turn out wonky.

cat-on-a-mac 09-18-2011 05:56 AM

One of my favorite things is trimming off the excess batting and backing after finishing machine quilting. It goes from looking sloppy and ragged to being neat and straight. It's so satisfying!

At that point, you know there's only one more step to go!

familyfun 09-18-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I hate cutting out but I love sewing them together.

I am with you.. I HATE cutting....

Nolee 09-18-2011 06:08 AM

I am 100% with you on this one, HSTs. I avoid them like the plague if I can. Since all my work is charity work, it's not a huge problem but once in awhile I like to try it again for myself. I guess I'm just not patient!!

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES
I love planning. I love choosing fabrics and choosing a pattern. I have many ideas written down.

I don't mind cutting the fabric. I enjoy sewing the pieces together and watching it come alive and take the shape that I envisioned.

But I really really dislike squaring up the blocks. I'm making a Friendship Star. It's going to have 42 blocks (I think). Each block has 1 solid square and 8 HST. I detest squaring up those HST's before I sew them all together to form the block. And it's putting a damper on my quilting this weekend. I keep taking breaks. I wish I could hire someone to square my squares! :roll:

quiltmau 09-18-2011 06:16 AM

love the design and fabric search-not fond of the actual quilting process. I need to practice and get better at it.

LyndaK 09-18-2011 06:22 AM

I don't like cutting so I bought an Accuquilt Go to help with that. I don't mind pressing, but don't like pre washing and ironing those big pieces of fabric.

I do not, absolutely do not like measuring and putting on borders.

I really really enjoy the machine quilting and the binding. Unfortunately for me, there are more parts of quilting that I dislike than I like. But the parts that I like I enjoy so much I put up with the rest.

I don't like piecing either. It's tedious and repetitive. I am going to be making machine embroidered quilts I think after I get all the projects I have kitted up finished. I find I like that a whole lot more than piecing.

And I'm going to try machine appliqué. I have a feeling that may be something I'll enjoy as well.

maryb119 09-18-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by puddingtain
Nothing I hate about quilting....really like the whole process !

Me too. It allows me to be creative in every part of the quilt. When it's done, I have something that is unique.

SWEETPEACHES 09-18-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mary Bird
Use Marti Michell templates - no squaring up needed! Engineered corners fit perfectly and 1/4" seam allowances are easy peasy.

Wow.. Great website! Thanks for mentioning her.

wuv2quilt 09-18-2011 06:37 AM

I LOVE quilting...who do I want to make something for, picking out the pattern, the fabrics...but, I HATE quilting by myself. I'm self taught...thru online tutes, books, etc. But so far I've not found anyone / or a group to quilt with. I'd like to have a little "in person" interaction. :(